Downed RAF Planes - ID Help

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mrpeanut05

Airman
Dec 3, 2008
Hey guys,

This is my first post on this forum. I just purchased a WWII german photo album, and there are a number of downed RAF plane photos from france. I was hoping you guys could help me with plane type ID. I believe they are fighter planes. I dont have the album in hand yet, as it is coming from Germany, but was hoping these low res photos would be good enough for ID. I believe I can get some codes/numbers when I put them on my scanner in a few weeks. Any help would be great!

MrPeanut05

Attachments

• rimg0067.jpg
    rimg0067.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 150
  • rimg0077.jpg
    rimg0077.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 149
  • rimg0104.jpg
    rimg0104.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 142
Agree, the first two shots of the same aircraft are of a Bloch. Not 100% sure of the type in the third shot, as French aircraft of that period are not my strong point, but all three pictures show machines of the Armee de l'Air, I suspect in May/June, 1940.

G'day Capt. Vick.

The first two definitely belong to the Breguet 690 series. The third is deceptive, but I agree with you, a Bloch 131, for a number of reasons. I'm convinced that the soldier on the far right of the photo is crouched, examining the port engine...

Another sad looking Bloch 131...

Yep the last pic can show Bloch 131.A very good eyesight Greame .Undoubtedly there was the second engine what can be noticed in the enlarged parts of the pic.The second prop can be visible now.
As far as the first and the second pic are concerned I think you are right as well.Although the second engine ( its prop ) hasn't been visible clearly.
Nice guys, very nice.:D

Attachments

• rimg0104a.jpg
    rimg0104a.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 140
Agree with Wurger, and my apologies for the initial error! I never can tell, at first sight without consulting references, which French aircraft is which....my lack of sufficient in depth knowledge of this area of WW2 aviation!
Terry.

There is no need to appologize Airframes.No body is perfect including me.It is not easy to recoginze a crasched aircraft at a glance.Especially if the plane is not too popular rather.

We can thank Greame who likes such puzzles and Capt.Vick for their good work. THX guys.:thumbleft:

Wow! Great responses guys! I have a feeling that I may be able to get some more info off the photos when I get them in the mail. I will be able to scan with higher definition and maybe get a code number off the back. It would be interesting to track the plane down. Is it true that not many of these planes were made? Less than 400?

I believe I may have stated this before on another thread - I collect vintage photos of WW 2 French aircraft, and one thing I learned very quickly is that in black-and-white photography, the colors (or more correctly the shades) of blue and red reverse themselves. This results in blue shades appearing as red, and vice versa - thus making the roundel misidentification of nationality (UK vs. FR) very easy to make.

Thanks! Yeah I felt a little dumb having thought they were RAF planes, but I guess you are right - it would be easy to mix them up. I dont feel so bad anymore. I also collect WWII photos, but just got into collecting downed airplane photos. Are downed french planes harder to find? I have some downed luftwaffe and japanese planes.

Thanks! Yeah I felt a little dumb having thought they were RAF planes, but I guess you are right - it would be easy to mix them up. I dont feel so bad anymore. I also collect WWII photos, but just got into collecting downed airplane photos. Are downed french planes harder to find? I have some downed luftwaffe and japanese planes.

Not particularly hard to find; they appear on e-bay occasionally. Some of them are downed, others are shot-up while on the ground on an airfield.

It is not easy to recoginze a crasched aircraft at a glance.
We can thank Greame who likes such puzzles and Capt.Vick for their good work. THX guys.:thumbleft:

Full credit to Capt.Vick, Wurger. I first thought a Bloch fighter as well. :( :)
However the engine appeared to lack tappet covers so I was thinking along the lines of a Bloch 155? but then the Captain made his post and I began looking for the "lost" engine.

Just received the photos in from germany

I was able to find a number on the first plane, the B690

I am wondering anyone knows a source or reference where I can look up these markings?

Attachments

• French Plane 13.jpg
    French Plane 13.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 97
Just received the photos in from germany

I was able to find a number on the first plane, the B690

I am wondering anyone knows a source or reference where I can look up these markings?

That is almost certainly a Br. 693 (AB 2?), almost certainly from GBA II/54 group. This may be one of the 10 of 18 aircraft shot down on the May 12 while attacking German motorized columns. The squadron insignia (wasp playing the double flute) is a definate give away.

I honestly believe with the group we have assembled here that we could ID an aircraft from a blob of molten aluminum in a grainy black and white photo! And also tell you what the pilot had for breakfast!

Great job guys! Who would have believed that so much could be gleened from these photographs? Excellent detective work.

This is getting way more detailed than I ever thought possible! Vick is right, this is certainly amazing detective work. I wonder if we could go further on this. I have been sleuthing around and am hoping to be able to narrow it down further. I wish we could find some photos of the planes on the ground before they were shot down, it may be able to help me narrow it down further.

Again,

Thanks!

Maybe this can help a little. Here is the caption below the photo. I have two things going against me on this one. A. I dont speak German. B. This guy had really messy handwriting. Can anyone else read it?

Attachments

• writing.jpg
    writing.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 124

Users who are viewing this thread

Back