Dr. D. unhurt in Madera incident

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
Dr. Frank Donelly lost rudder control during his performance at the Madera show. He brought the plane down in an emergency landing, but because of the control issue, he ran out of runway and the aircraft flipped over. Thankfully, Dr. D is okay.

Video : Recorderonline.com

If you are reading this Dr. D, we are very glad that came out of the airplane okay and wish you godspeed in getting your airplane back in the sky.

One question, why wasn't the crash truck rolling as soon as the emergency was called. Normal procedure particually for a small aircarft is to get behind the aircraft and follow it in, Not wait for it to crash before starting the engines.

He did well but I suggest that the emergency team need to look at their procedures

No, I wasn't there, Joe, but did notice the Thunder Delfins in one of the shots were there.

I think one of the reasons they held back the crash truck is because Dr. D. was having directional control issues. From what I understand, because of the rudder deflection, the aircraft kept trying to steer toward the crowd. I can't speak for the crash crews, but I think everyone thought he would land okay. Fortunately in this case, aside from a pranged airplane, Dr. D is okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back