"Dust Clouds in the Middle East" by Christopher Shores

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vikingBerserker

Lieutenant General
Apr 10, 2009
South Carolina
"Dust Clouds in the Middle East - The Air War for East Africa, Iraq, Syria, Iran and Madagascar, 1940-42"
by Christopher Shores
Grub Street - 1996
ISBN 1-898697-37-X

dust clouds.jpg

Of all the theatres in WW2, one of the least written about has to be the Middle-East. If you have any interest in the Air War, then this book is a must!

The book is 308 pages long with a number of pictures and maps and is divided into 5 sections:

I - East Africa: UK/Commonwealth vs. Italians
II - Iraq: UK/Commonwealth vs. rebel Iraqis, Italians, Germans, and some Vichy French in Syria
III - Syria: UK/Commonwealth Free French vs. Vichy France
IV - Iran: UK/Commonwealth Russia vs. Iran
V - Madagascar: UK/Commonwealth vs Vichy France (and a Japanese sub that torpedoed the HMS Ramillies a tanker)
[Commonwealth were mainly Australians and South Africans]

It is organized in typical Shores method by day and shares the kills reported and the actual losses from both sides. The book is fascinating and it talks about the use of aircraft that was not very common in the other areas. Just to list a few:

Olivier LeO 257bis - 5 seat biplane bomber used, err I mean destroyed by the British within minutes of having landed.
Vickers Wellesley - bomber that set a world record.
Vickers Valentia - biplane transport
Bristol Bombay - bomber and transport
Ju 90 - Transport
Breda 65 - Iraqi Ground Attack Fighter

It's a great book for a little known area of the war. The only bad thing I can say about the book is the lack of a general index. I have to rate it as a strong 10.

Last edited:
Vikingberserker,
I quite agree with your review. It's an excellent book about little know air campaigns. I find all of Mr Shores books to be full of great information. I would like to recommend his, " Fledgling Eagles " about the Phoney War.

Glider,
I believe it will be available in Europe and England next week and sometime next month in North America. Some people are talking about it over on the 12 o'clock high web site.

Vikingberserker,
I quite agree with your review. It's an excellent book about little know air campaigns. I find all of Mr Shores books to be full of great information. I would like to recommend his, " Fledgling Eagles " about the Phoney War.

Steve, I just got this book today and I'm 1/4th of the way through. You are right, it's amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back