Dust: What tricks do you use to remove it?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey guys,
…..and gals.
My first post and my two bits for dust problems. Dust is a major problem especially for those of us who live in dry, southern climates. No matter what you do dust creeps in, piles up and then hardens!! My solution: Load you airbrush with soapy water or glass cleaner (if you have used Future/Kleer or similar product anywhere on the model avoid ammonia based glass cleaners) and blast at full force. To rinse, spray again with clean water and dry with air. Much like what we do in the car wash only in smaller scale. This way you can get those hard spots around protruding hardware, panel lines etc. Hope this helps

It is one of the suggested solutions.But not all of modelers have airbrushes and commpresors.Especially, the younger ones.

I had an idea the other day. I use cheap plastic boxes flipped upside down. They can be stacked away in a box or on display. The plastic isnt as clear as say a display case but they will take a few knocks. Easily attach a base and plane to the underside of the lid. They stack together nicely in a box aswell. Bit of Blu Tac or some to hold the plane or base and no dust.

Heres one with a Boomerang I'm building. Like I said not ideal but serves a purpose.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

:D

A good idea Heinz.Some of my friends also use the boxes.

Their used to be a product that removed the electro static properties of the plastic used in model kits. Unforunately like many things I cant remember the name?????:oops:

This is a good and very relevant topic for us modellers.

I've battled with dust on models for years, which was particularly bad when I used to collect model ships; one was a sailing ship with loads of deck detail and rigging, others were aircraft carriers with decks loaded with planes and small aircraft tugs etc ... absolute nightmare.

The only true answer I've found that works long term is a glass cabinet with closing doors. That is my long term solution, no dust, no dusting, no damage to surfaces, works a treat. The initial outlay was pricey when I got it a few years back, but it only needs buying once, so is worth getting a nice looking one and you've got it for life. I've not looked back since getting mine.

I have a room I keep my models in where the windows have plasitic over them and the heater vent is closed. Majority of the time the heater vent is where most of that dust comes from. I haven't had to dust my models at all for the last few years. As for a solution to remove the static charge on plastic, I think there is an electronics supply company called Contact East that has solutions to remove static from plastic. I can research this and get a better answer later today.

This is what I have found so far. Perhaps this could help if applied once the model is completed? :|
Just an idea. :idea:

Anti-Static Spray neutralizes static electricity generated by friction or atmospheric conditions. Proven effectiveness on plastic, paper, cellophane, cloth and threaded materials.
NSF reg. no. 130080; P1 rated
Clear film
Dries instantly, non-staining
Will not attract contaminants
Can be applied to machinery or parts in process

I use those spectacle cleaning cloths to wipe over the external surfaces of the few models I own. I keep most in perspex boxes, and dont have any open cockpit models as yet. For my ship models, made of wood, I wash the sailsand the outer hulls. For the upper decks and superstructures I use a small computer hand held vacuum cleaner.

Ther is no way that I know of to get all the dust off a modell

Agree dust is a big problem and the use of an airbrush for me is out of the question, it's not allowed in the house, compressor is huge and noisy. However, a feather duster was my easiest option, but as others have mentioned, bits get knocked off and it was never really successful.

A couple of months ago, while wandering round the supermarket isles, I came across this brush in the cleaning area, it's anti static and cheap (under A$10.00), and it works a treat as the bristles are very soft, fine and fluffy, and are long enough to get into all the awkward places. Damned if I can remember what it was called or by whom it was made but will look next time I'm out shopping.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Attachments

• IMG_1387.jpg
    IMG_1387.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 79
If you can't use an airbrush, perhaps canned air? There is something we use in electronics called Dustoff which is nothing more than canned air to blow stuff out of computers. :)

Great stuff guys. Blown air works, but over the years you also get a "grime" that comes from things such as naturally emitted oils, cooking, smoking, and in B-17s case brain emmissions. That requires something more aggressive (mechanical or chemical). Another good reason to use Future (or similar) to allow for a wiping, brush or scour without affecting the finish.

Good stuff posted.

Boy, talk about getting dust out of an old thread! I use something like the make-up brushes in the pics Wurger posted - 3 years ago!!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back