Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

From Av Week, March 1943

P-39Ad-1943Mar-1crop.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
(Sorry, Buffnut - I'm an unrepentant enabler!

Hi Fubar,

This was a show for Congress and VIPs to show just how ready we were as war was brewing up in Europe. There are a bunch more outdoors photos showing other aircraft in the Life magazine collections (though I don't have the links) that might give a hint of the colors.

Camouflage responsibility had been at Wright Field, but the Materiel folks balked at Arnold's demand for permanent camouflage finishes, so he transferred the authority to the Air Corps Board at Maxwell in 1939. Maxwell would have been as close to any experimental camouflage division as we had at the time. They were already coming close to OD/Neutral Gray, but the Wright Field colors were what was available in January 1940.

Here are some more pix:

View attachment 659464
As much as the amazing camo, what really catches my eye is the camo Airacuda center right. Never have seen it that dressed that way, really makes it look much more purposeful than the all silver metal versions usually seen. Too bad it underperformed, it really looks the part what could have been repurposed as a devastating attack craft.

I thought it was in the B-18 or B-23 family thanks for IDing it! In that picture it almost looks to have a flying boat hull under the nose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back