Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thing is: Vought did not envision the F4U as a high-production machine on the order of 12k, hence the expanded wartime scheme with Goodyear and Brewster. Wish I could find my long-long ago notes from the interview with engineer Rex Beisel for the 1979 book. IIRC the center section was one of the most complex single-engine airframe components of the era, requiring some redesign to ramp up deliveries.

I recall when I first saw this Corsair was when I'd been invited to an airshow near El Centro, CA and my Twin Beech I was flying needed a couple of exhaust fasteners. A local crop duster Mr. Wood I believe, allowed me and a mechanic friend into his hangar to sort through his stuff looking for needed parts. He had a nicely organized place, we soon found the bin with our needed stuff. There under a huge tent of fabric suspended from the ceiling was NX900G I think its N number was. Glossy, clean, pristine, so fine looking I wondered why he hadn't chosen to fly it for the airshow.
Some years later it was sold to Ed Shipley shown flying it in this photo. Mr. Wood made a fine profit from the sale, enough to make someone a good looking retirement portfolio.
Chris...

Users who are viewing this thread