eBay: heavy Iron (Tanks Guns Ships Trains) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Is that a valve seat resurfacing Kit? Interesting tool kit
Yes, valve seat regrinding tools for BMW 801.
A very interesting kit, worthy of a museum, but probably will go to a collector. The Germans generally had a good organisation for engine overhauls at specific overhaul locations. It is likely that this kit would be used in overhaul work. However, forward units may possibly have held these tools as well.

Eng

I suspect you are correct, with a radial engines individual cylinders it is much easier to grind and lap valves in the field. Way back in my days of working on piston engined freighters, we would sometimes replace individual cylinders with reworked ones. Then send the removed cylinders back to the shop usually for honing and valve work. But I remember changing quite a few 985 and 2800 jugs for cracks also.

90 euros is not that bank breaking.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

IMHO, none of the mentioned ... it is a Sturmgeschütz III Ausführung G also known as the StuG 40 Ausf. G. The barrel length and its diameter indicate the StuK 40 L/48 75mm gun. The Sturmhaubitze 42 ( StuH 42 ) was armed with the StuH 42 L/28 105 mm howitzer of a little shorter and thicker barrel tapering towards the muzzle. The suspension system is of the Panzer III layout ( six road wheels + three support rollers ) so it can't be the StuG IV that based on the Panzer IV with eight road wheels and four support rollers. The "Saukopf" gun mantlet (Topfblende pot mantlet) without the remote control MG 34 on the hull top may indicate the mid-late variant of the StuG III Ausf. G made by the Alkett factory.

to compare ... a Sturmhaubitze 42 ( StuH 42 ) with the "Saukopf" mantlet....

the pic source: StuH 42 SdKfz 142/2 | World War Photos

Users who are viewing this thread