eBay: Japanese airplanes and other hardware.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Other than a somewhat similar glaszed nose treatment there's nothing in common between the Kyushu Q1W and JU88.
The Q1W was smaller, had less than half the power, over 100 mph slower, and had 1/3rd the bomb load of the Ju88.

There's no wonder it looks so much like a Ju88, the IJN ordered an ASW aircraft based on it's specifications.
So there's nothing in common even though it was based on the Ju88's specifications?

I wonder what Ju88 specification the Q1W was based on ?
Other than good visibility toward the front, what else do they have in common ?

There's nothing else I can see.

The Japanese government (Naval service) requested an anti-submarine patrol aircraft based on the Ju88's specifications.

The Japanese built several other aircraft based on German designs. While not exact carbon-copies, one can see the Ju88's influence in the final design.

The Kyushu Q1W "Tokai" is one such example. It is not a license-built airframe, it is a design based on the Ju88's specifications as requested by the IJN - being the Navy Experimental 17-Shi Patrol Plane in a series of types that were a result of the ASP request. I recall reading somewhere that the IJN actually purchased the Ju88 design from Junkers, but I don't recall the source for that, and I don't think it actually happened. And in any case, Kyushu designed and built their own version much like Nakajima built their own turbojet based on the Me262's design - not copying it (unlike the KI-201, which was an exact copy)

A few other submissions to the IJN under this same request didn't have the same lines as the Tokai, therefore one could say that they didn't bear a resemblance to the Ju88

So to recap, the Tokai was not a copy of the Ju88, it was simply based on the Ju88 - and does bear a resemblance.

Kyushu Q1W1 Tokai.jpg

I've read also that the Kyushu Q1W was developed to the Ju88 specifications.

But when you consider it's approximately 10 foot smaller in both dimensions, 1/3rd the empty weight, 1/3rd the bomb load, 2/3rd the speed, I'm wondering just what specification of the Ju88 it followed, other than just looking like a junior Ju88.

Just how far can you get from specifications and still say they're based on the same specs ?

Last edited:
You take the Ju 88 drawings and reduce them to 2/3rd of the original dimensions. Reduce overly strengthened fuselage parts to normal strenth and install a bombbay that fits your need. Then you recalculate the aerodynamics the ensure it'll work otherwise you add the required modifications.

There was such a time 70 years ago. It's incredible now as we see nothing.
The diving flap of the Q1W was what IJN wanted to realize based on the Ju88.

Thanks for sharing, johnbr :)

Easy to built,mantain and fly and above all expendable were the objetives of this Shimbu (suicide) aircraft. Designed to be built by semi-skilled labour using steel,wood and tin, the Tsurugi had the ability to accept any radial engine of 800Hp to 1300hp,and was equiped with simple and crude instruments.The production models were to be fitted with two solid-fuel rockets,one over each wing,to boost its speed during the terminal attack dive.The flight trials revealed poor ground handling and poor flying characteristics,and the modifications delayed somewhat its posible combat debut.Nakajima produced 104 and none of them,thankfully, were used in anger.
General characteristics

Crew: One, pilot
Length: 8.55 m (28 ft 0⅝ in)
Wingspan: 8.60 m (28 ft 2½ in)
Height: 3.30 m (10 ft 10 in)
Wing area: 12.4 m² (133.47 ft²)
Empty weight: 1,640 kg (3,616 lb)
Loaded weight: 2,580 kg (5,688 lb)
Max. takeoff weight: 2,880 kg (max overload with 800 kg bomb) (6,349 lb)
Powerplant: 1 × Nakajima Ha-35 Type 23 radial engine (provision for two rocket accelerators), 860 kW (1,150 hp)

Performance

Maximum speed: 550 km/h (297 kn, 342 mph) at 2,800 m (9,200 ft)
Cruise speed: 300 km/h (162 kn, 186 mph)
Range: 1,200 km (648 nmi, 746 mi)

Armament

Bombs: 1 × 250 kg (551 lb), 500 kg (1,102 lb), or 800 kg (1,764 lb) bomb

Attachments

• Nakajima Ki-115 Tsurugi Low-cost suicide.jpg
    Nakajima Ki-115 Tsurugi Low-cost suicide.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 348
  • Nakajima_Ki-115.jpg
    Nakajima_Ki-115.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread