eBay: Japanese airplanes and other hardware.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A6M5 Zero Fighter Surrender China 1945 Nr 32

s-l1600.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:
I didn't (know) the IJN operated out of New Jersey.

It is not that well known, but many of the captured Japanese aircraft that came into naval bases on the east coast of US from 1944 through 1945 were barged to the Atlantic Overseas Air Materiel Center, Newark Field, NJ.

The J2M3 Raiden in the pic was captured at Atsugi AB Japan where it belonged to No. 302 ku and was transported in October 1945 to the US. This Raiden utimately became the sole surviving example of its type. It was put up for disposal in the 1950s and was bought by Ed Maloney for his Air Museum in Ontario CA. Later it became an exhibit at Ed's Planes of Fame Air Museum at Chino CA where it resides today.

Yes, it's an orphan, but a beautifully presented and well looked after orphan, preserved for generations to come so they can admire what the best of Japanese aeronautical design can achieve.

Moky for JEC

Last edited:
Ed's first museum was in Claremont (near Ontario and Chino), by the way.
Thanks, that's the place. There are a lot of color photos on Flickr of static aircraft at the old Air Museum at Claremont. The J2M3 Raiden had a very weird camouflage scheme applied while it was at Claremont.

J2M Raiden Air Museum Claremont CA 1950s-Flikr_e8c2203eb7_c.jpg

Credit: Jeffrey Ethell Collection

Moky for JEC

Last edited:
It is not that well known, but many of the captured Japanese aircraft that came into naval bases on the east coast of US from 1944 through 1945 were barged to the Atlantic Overseas Air Materiel Center, Newark Field, NJ.

The J2M3 Raiden in the pic was captured at Atsugi AB Japan where it belonged to No. 302 ku and was transported in October 1945 to the US. This Raiden utimately became the sole surviving example of its type. It was put up for disposal in the 1950s and was bought by Ed Maloney for his Air Museum in Ontario CA. Later it became an exhibit at Ed's Planes of Fame Air Museum at Chino CA where it resides today.

Yes, it's an orphan, but a beautifully presented and well looked after orphan, preserved for generations to come so they can admire what the best of Japanese aeronautical design can achieve.

Moky for JEC
Funny how this conversation started. I am looking to see this Raiden this Sunday :)

Makes you wonder what might have happened if the altimeter fired detonators (Gun type with Little Boy) had failed to drive the fission material into the uranium core.

I suppose the bomb would have buried itself in the mud of a recently rained on Hiroshima. A lot of localised radiation but no explosion damage.

That is fate I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back