eBay: Japanese airplanes and other hardware.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I like you too much to start any arguments Shin, let's just agree to disagree, "incidents" in China in the late '30's shall we say were already well known in the U.S. before 7/12/41.

So with that said, I'm game to move on.

Peace my friend.
I am not going to persuade an old man, Peter. Please don't worry :)
I have only introduced what LeMay did.

BESUCH des JAPANISCHES U-BOOTES "FLIEDER" IN U-BOOT-STÜTZPUNKT BREST summer 1943 codename Lilac

View attachment 720794

View attachment 720795

View attachment 720796

View attachment 720797

View attachment 720798

View attachment 720799

View attachment 720800

That Japanese submarine has some serious punch. I wonder what ident #

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I am not going to persuade an old man, Peter. Please don't worry :)
I have only introduced what LeMay did.

I like you too much to start any arguments Shin, let's just agree to disagree, "incidents" in China in the late '30's shall we say were already well known in the U.S. before 7/12/41.

So with that said, I'm game to move on.

Peace my friend.

Peace my friends and remember -- Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it

Peace my friends and remember -- Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it
"Those Who Do Not Learn History Are Doomed To Repeat It."
- George Santayana (1863-1952)

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Every word is curious for me but these words look words for words after all because I witness the ongoing event in Ukaraine now. Or, didn't those global leaders learn the history at school? If so, there are no hopes for our future, aren't there?

Unfortunately for as long as wars are fought by the citizens and not the leaders it will probably remain so.

Putin versus Zelensky to the death would have saved all that damage but Putin would never try that.

PHOTO YOKUSAKA JAPANESE SUBMARINE BASE SHOP INSIDE MOUNTAIN 1945

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I was always enamored of the I-400 boats but what exactly is their mission? My submarine knowledge is a bit dodgy but they look too big to be hunter/killer types like the American Fleet boats i.e. Gato, Balao, Tench.

If turned loose on U.S. shipping lanes from the west coast how would they have fared?

I was always enamored of the I-400 boats but what exactly is their mission? My submarine knowledge is a bit dodgy but they look too big to be hunter/killer types like the American Fleet boats i.e. Gato, Balao, Tench.

If turned loose on U.S. shipping lanes from the west coast how would they have fared?
The I-400s were long range attack subs, designed to carry three Aichi M6A1 aircraft to within reach of a target (like the Panama Canal) and conduct air strikes. They also had eight torpedo tubes in the bow for conventional offense against shipping.

These things were huge, at 400 feet long, which was about 30 feet longer than a USN Fletcher class destroyer.

The I-400s were long range attack subs, designed to carry three Aichi M6A1 aircraft to within reach of a target (like the Panama Canal) and conduct air strikes. They also had eight torpedo tubes in the bow for conventional offense against shipping.

These things were huge, at 400 feet long, which was about 30 feet longer than a USN Fletcher class destroyer.
And we weren't gonna' let them goldanged Rooskies get a look at 'em.

I-400s were originally designed to attack the east cost of the US. Target was changed to Panama in May, 1945 as Germany surrendered and the US vessels in the Atlantic were expected to deploy in the Pacific but it was too late. On August 14, 1945, two of them were about to attack the Ulithi Atoll but cancelled as the war ended.

Can you imagine Tiger tanks making their way through the jungles of the South Pacific and the sand and coconut tree lined coral atolls & islands?

No, the small light tanks used by the Japanese were perfect for that role.

Look at Vietnam, they literally had to lay waste to the jungle with B-52 concussion bombs and Skyraiders napalm attacks and then Agent Orange was used to defoliate the rest and still they lost the war. Jungle warfare IS HELL. Didn't someone say that in "Apocalypse Now"?

ETO and PTO totally different environments.

Moky for JEC

The Japanese were interested in the Tiger for home defense, which is why they purchased one as well as a license.

Unfortunately (for Japan), thier Tiger was commandeered by the Germans while it was waiting in France to be shipped home.

The Japanese were also developing native designs based on countering the M4 Sherman like the Type 3 (Chi-Nu) and Type 4 (Chi-To) tanks which saw limited production due to raw material shortages - all were retained for home defense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back