Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Seems like a pretty straightforward photo to me. Why go through such elaborate photoshoping for a plane that there are a number of pictures of already, albeit not closeup and in color? Maybe if it had a sasquatch or Amelia Earhart in the same picture, then yeah. But the skepticism is welcome, if only to see Wurger work his usual magic.
Well maybe it's just me but I don't believe I've ever seen photos of a P-38 "droop snoot" with mu-cheen guns in the schnoz and pretty weird/suspect looking ones to-boot. Yeah, in the end it honestly makes no huge impact in my life but hey, we're on the interwebs so.... ;)

At first glance of those enlargements, I'd immediately call them wood dowels or some meaty, chopped off shovel handles but behind the plexi, there's definitely something "more" than that. I agree about the perforations of a .50 cal. barrel but that's a helluva long barrel. Would put the body of the .50 pretty much right up against the rear of the pilot's instrument panel! Lastly Wurger, I'm not sure I agree with you regarding the serial #. I read it as 42-12375 or 42-12575. Anyhoo, that's my usual .02 cents worth. ;)

OH .. sorry didn't notice that. Just swapped the two last digits of the serial. Certainly that's the 42-12975 but not the 42-12957. Your 42-12375 doesn't seem to fit because the appearance of the digit "3" you can see above used for the US Army code. The "5" can be excluded too because the highest density of the black pixels is at the top of the digit. The "5" wouldn't have that one rather. The last digit could be the "6" as well. But again, the layout of the black pixels indicates the "5" IMHO.
Additionally, if you use the source link for the second pic of the kite I found you will find that the guys there came to the same. What is more I'm not sure if the two your serials are listed for the P-38 as memo serves. But I may be wrong. Below there is the very enlarged shot I used for working out of the serial.

XF-5D_a2.jpg

But I completely agree with you on the barrels. These look strange and the colour of the protruding parts make me not sure what it is. Actually I can' see the muzzles.

Excellent work Wurger! Number 42-12975 is what I found in Joe Baugher's site. I just wanted to see what the data panel actually said. This is a P-38/F-5 modification I had never read about, so it is new to me. Thanks for the work on this. I believe also, as others have, the machine guns have covers on them, either canvas or leather. This plane probably did not use the guns often, so to prevent rust, they were covered. I can't see why a recon bird would need someone up front. He would have had an uncomfortable time when the guns were fired. Again, thanks for the detective work. We now have proof for a model.

Thank you for the kind words. :) :wave:

as far as the MG barrels are concerned ... I thought the same. Just a kind of protecting sheath because I can't see the muzzles. According to a couple of the web sources that's the same Lightning. It looks like the barrels did have the covers attached.

XF-5D.jpg

the source: the net.

Thank you for the kind words. :) :wave:

as far as the MG barrels are concerned ... I thought the same. Just a kind of protecting sheath because I can't see the muzzles. According to a couple of the web sources that's the same Lightning. It looks like the barrels did have the covers attached.

View attachment 707733
the source: the net.
Excellent stuff! Regarding those barrel/muzzle covers, what makes them suspect to me is when I've seen "covers" over MG barrels on (for example) B-24J nose turret guns, they were definitely a cloth-like material that bent over at the end(s) if that makes sense. These look like hard tubes of some sort and I've never seen pics of anything like that before.

THX. I must admit I have seen a such protection used for aircraft of a regiment I served in. But it was during a winter time rather than in the summer. Anyway that's a very interesting detail. And really it may come in handy for the modellers who would like to replicate the XF-5D kite.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The earliest P-38's had only 50 gal drop tanks, mounted close to the wing, as done on other fighters. They found that mounting them on longer pylons reduced drag, and of course the 165 gal and 310 gal tanks came along as well.

Thank you to many of you who have contributed to this thread. My modeling research has yielded much information in the XP-38, which is my goal.

If anyone has any detailed pictures, especially of the cockpit to the prototype, it would be greatly appreciated.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back