Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Attachments

• cyD.jpg
    cyD.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 133
It was actually conceived as a means of "flash acceleration" in response to the Me262 threat.

There were two test aircraft, both were P-51D-25 airframes (44-73099 44-74050) and the rocket was an acid-aniline rocket motor that was fed by Red fuming nitric acid, carried in a special tank under the port wing and an aniline-alcohol mixture, carried in a tank under the starboard wing.

The fuel mixture was extremely volitile and could prove to be dangerous in a ground error and/or combat, plus the tests did not produce satisfactory results, so it never developed any further.
Resp:
The ME 262 reasoning makes sense. I was thinking it may have been to enhance launching from a carrier.

yep... the P-51C-10-NT ( another source : F-6C-10-NT ) delivered to G.R II/33 in July 1944. The appearance of her at the beginning of the 1945, Luxeuil airbase.

yep... the P-51C-10-NT ( another source : F-6C-10-NT ) delivered to G.R II/33 in July 1944. The appearance of her at the beginning of the 1945, Luxeuil airbase.
Resp:
What made me look closer, was that I knew that the French flew a few F-5 Lightnings. There was a story of a missing Lightning flown by a famous (to the French) Frenchman who never returned from a photo recon mission. I believe his plane was found 30 or so years later in the Med, not too far off shore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back