Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Look at the edges of cut. No engineer would have done so. To re use it. No clamps. Bad case of ventilation i think.

I feel like a total idiot for asking, but on many a Mustang you see, what gives with the massive oil streak starting at about the rear of the engine cowling and arching back down the fuselage?

I know I know, I should know that, I go to penalty box two minutes... feel shame.

F-51D-25, 44-73888, 39th FIS 18th FBG Seoul City AB (K-16) Korea 1951. Can anyone shed some light on the "cut open" tank under the wing? I have reached out to the 39th FS folks and have no response....yet! It is probably being used as a 'travel pod' but why wouldn't a 'door' be made for it? It has the squadron stenciled on it....and it may be painted 1/2 blue and 1/2 white, the squadron colors. I put it up on my facebook group and folks there are scratching their head too.View attachment 586379
In the book, "F-51 Units of the Korean War" by Warren Thompson, there is the same photo. The caption says, "....It was photographed in early 1952 carrying drop tanks that had been converted into cargo pods....lost over the target area on 27 April 1952 - eyewitness reports stated that the aeroplane exploded in mid air after being hit by AAA. Its pilot, 1Lt. William Sankey perished...."

492 - Original B&W 616 Aircraft Negative - P-51H Mustang 44-64302 OHIO ANG 1950s | eBay

P-51H-5-NA

1593772801629.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If it is 78th FG, and it probably is, then as it's at an Air Depot, it could be there for any number of reasons - storage, transfer, awaiting or having just had major work done, disposal etc etc.
It may just be visiting, or may have even landed there due to problems, and be awaiting collection - who knows ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back