eBay: North American P-51 Mustang (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, I think I answered my question and maybe yours too. This is a shot of an F-6C from late 1944.
F-6CLate44SM.jpg

Well, I think I answered my question and maybe yours too. This is a shot of an F-6C from late 1944.View attachment 583808

Field applied to C-5 and C-10 that emerged from factory to ETO in spring/summer 1944. The one on the right was my father's original WR-B JANE in which he shot down two 109s on June 20th. When he got his first D, the C was recoded WR-V for the rest of the wat. Future 3 star Bob White, X-15 test pilot and 355th TFW Ops officer in Vietnam war was shot down by flak while strafing and survived a 'one swing' parachute jump in Feb 1945.

Attachments

• 354 WRM_Alabama Bound_Vickery_42-1036437 [vickery].jpg
    354 WRM_Alabama Bound_Vickery_42-1036437 [vickery].jpg
    91 KB · Views: 114
  • 354 WRV_Dutchess of Manhattan_feb1945 [marshall].jpg
    354 WRV_Dutchess of Manhattan_feb1945 [marshall].jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Lol - well get your pencil ready, I already sent in a request to Osprey to insert an 'erata' sheet for some missed serial numbers and slightly 'off' dates.
To paraphrase a (possible) historical quote... "Say it ain't so Joe (Bill), say it ain't so..." :shock:

On a side note, for me, one of the most beautiful WWII aircraft is a P-51B/C with DFF, second place is a P-51B/C with DFF and Malcomb Hood.

Last edited:
Pilots would also "slip" the airplane to throw off an attackers aim from behind. Plus, "slipping" the airplane is also used on approach to land.
Resp:
Luftwaffe pilot Heinz Bar said that the P-51 "was perhaps the most difficult of all Allied aircraft to meet in combat. It was fast, maneuverable, hard to see, and difficult to identify because it resembled the 109."

Resp:
Luftwaffe pilot Heinz Bar said that the P-51 "was perhaps the most difficult of all Allied aircraft to meet in combat. It was fast, maneuverable, hard to see, and difficult to identify because it resembled the 109."
IMO Bar is in the handful of Aces in the discussion of 'best ever' - independent of his views about Beat Allied fighter. But he did fight against them all AFAIK.

To paraphrase a (possible) historical quote... "Say it ain't so Joe (Bill), say it ain't so..." :shock:

On a side note, for me, one of the most beautiful WWII aircraft is a P-51B/C with DFF, second place is a P-51B/C with DFF and Malcomb Hood.
Resp:
Naw, the Malcomb hood and the dorsal fin! A nice color photo hangs on my wall, Impatient Virgin!'

Resp:
Naw, the Malcomb hood and the dorsal fin! A nice color photo hangs on my wall, Impatient Virgin!'
You'll get no argument from me on that.

The only issue I have is that with the 'Hood' the extremely sleek lines are a tad interrupted, that long nose and the buttoned down look of the original canopy with the added DFF... Yeah Baby!

Now if I had to take her into combat, there's no doubt I'd want the Malcomb Hood equipped version.

You'll get no argument from me on that.

The only issue I have is that with the 'Hood' the extremely sleek lines are a tad interrupted, that long nose and the buttoned down look of the original canopy with the added DFF... Yeah Baby!

Now if I had to take her into combat, there's no doubt I'd want the Malcomb Hood equipped version.
Resp:
Also, I'm told . . . it is noiser w the Malcomb Hood. Honestly, I would have been happy to fly any of the variants. I served with an Army major (w/in last 10 hrs) who was a Helicopter pilot in 'nam that got to fly a P-51H (not sure of the details). He said it was a gas going almost strait up.
He was an interesting fellow, so much so, that he would never advance above Maj. He had to set his Huey down in the middle of a rice paddy while a crewman flushed the fuel line. While they were doing the work, he noticed several 'Charlies' come out from the tree line about 100 yards distant. He was carrying a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag in a waist belt holster (had his dad mail it to him after he had a bad encounter with the Govt issue .38 revolver [ammo was faulty]), so took a 'bead' on the lead soldier (where the neck joins the torso) . . . and pressed the trigger. His followers quickly dispersed as their leader fell. At the same moment, the crew gave him the 'nod' that the Huey was ready to 'fly.'

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back