Efficacy of the Me262 as a schnellbomber

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If you reached the maximum allowed airspeed in the 262 during a dive, it will begin to "nose under" and the only way to try and break that is by pushing the controls forward.

That was learned by the pilots that were able to come back and talk about it.

we just don't really know.....yet what the 262 was capable of in trying to stop the Soviets in vain. as a bomber probably a utter failure as a ground attack mount with altered R4M's another story. you can imagine He/I 3cm rounds lighting up a MT convoy heading west.....

Ground Attack with the R4Ms would be a far better choice I believe, for the Me262, instead of chin mounted ordinance.

The R4Ms being on the wings outboard of the engines still maintain the Center of Mass AND it can retain it's four 30mm Mk108s...seems like a much better setup.

Ground Attack with the R4Ms would be a far better choice I believe, for the Me262, instead of chin mounted ordinance.

Except that no air force could hit anything on the ground with any kind of accuracy with rockets. The RAF 2nd TAF persisted in their use but their USAAF colleagues more or less gave up on them and used napalm and bombs instead.
A fast flying Me 262 in a shallower dive than those used by the British Typhoons is going to be even less likely to hit anything.

Cheers

Steve

Except that no air force could hit anything on the ground with any kind of accuracy with rockets. The RAF 2nd TAF persisted in their use but their USAAF colleagues more or less gave up on them and used napalm and bombs instead.
A fast flying Me 262 in a shallower dive than those used by the British Typhoons is going to be even less likely to hit anything.

Cheers

Steve

But what about flying level and dropping cluster munitions on convoys, airfields, or supply dumps?

If in a fighter break into a tight turn. If the Me 262 pilot has any sense he will not attempt to follow.

no he would probably pour on the coals until he was further away then break to the opposite direction and come back around to zoom you since you are still on the same plain as he.

Use the right tool for the job.

If Me-262 can gain air superiority (i.e. what it's best at) then Fw-190F armed with FF rockets and AB250 cluster munitions will kick butt against ground forces (i.e. what it's best at). Employing Me-262 against ground targets should be only an emergency measure because nothing else is available for that mission.

But what about flying level and dropping cluster munitions on convoys, airfields, or supply dumps?

Level bombing with no bombsight was even less accurate. That's why fighter bombers dive bombed, even if from relatively shallow dives (40-60 degrees). Dropping cluster munitions 200+ yards from the intended target is a waste of time. A lot of research was done on this, backed up by the findings of the various ORS units, British and American.
Cheers
Steve

Cheers

Steve

not really....

High Velocity Aircraft Rocket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

not really....

I'd refer you to the reports of the ORS of the RAF 2nd TAF and the USAAF 9th AF. They couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo, whatever wikipedia might suggest, and it doesn't reproduce any of the actual observations of the ORS or the test results from the RAF, both of which I have read.
By far the most accurate weapons on a Typhoon were its 20mm cannon, and on a P-47 or P-51 its machine guns.
Cheers
Steve

Level bombing with no bombsight was even less accurate. That's why fighter bombers dive bombed, even if from relatively shallow dives (40-60 degrees). Dropping cluster munitions 200+ yards from the intended target is a waste of time. A lot of research was done on this, backed up by the findings of the various ORS units, British and American.
Cheers
Steve

I thought the Sturmvogel had a Revi bombsight meant to be used at a 20 degree dive.

I thought the Sturmvogel had a Revi bombsight meant to be used at a 20 degree dive.

That is not a bombsight in the sense of those fitted to strategic bombers. It is a gun sight adapted to bombing, as used by the allies in their "fighter bombers" too. It's the same sight used for gunnery, as evidenced by the lists of equipment in BAL/Luftwaffe acceptance documents. The same sight in all Me 262s. The EZ 42 gyro sight was fitted to some Me 262s and would have given them the best chance of actually hitting something.
A true WW2 bombsight is an amazingly complicated bit of kit which would not fit into a typical single seat aircraft, nor would the pilot be able to program it.
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
I'd refer you to the reports of the ORS of the RAF 2nd TAF and the USAAF 9th AF. They couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo, whatever wikipedia might suggest, and it doesn't reproduce any of the actual observations of the ORS or the test results from the RAF, both of which I have read.
By far the most accurate weapons on a Typhoon were its 20mm cannon, and on a P-47 or P-51 its machine guns.
Cheers
Steve

HVARs were used EXTENSIVELY in WW2 and in Korea by the USAAF, USN, USMC and later the USAF. Their accuracy is questionable but the US NEVER gave up using them!

300px-Hvar.jpg

w2_okinawa_f4u-corsair.jpg

550th_NFS_5_in_rockets_under_P-61_wing.png

Last edited:
In WW2 the USAAF used very few rockets (10-20,000?). The RAF used more than 200,000 from memory. I have the numbers but a young relative is asleep in my front room/library at the moment! Maybe I can post them tomorrow :)
Cheers
Steve

Cheers
Steve
While the rockets effectiveness against tanks was not great, against soft-skin targets where a direct hit wasn't required they were quite useful, and their effect on the morale of enemy troops was considerable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back