Enough of Bill’s Stories Already (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tim Moore

Airman
Oct 2, 2017
Eustis, Florida
Everyone here has delighted in Bill Runnel's stories about his experiences as a WWII bombardier. He is a true American hero to all of us. However, I look forward to his stories so much that I have to log in twenty times a day just to see what he has posted. Not only are his stories interesting, he is a fabulous writer. All day long I keep asking myself, "What incredible story has Bill posted recently?" Yet he is carefully parcelling out each golden nugget of history. It is as if someone offered you a fine Scotch or Burgundy wine, and then gave you an eyedropper instead of a glass. I WANT THE BOOK.

Bill's has amazing contributions to WWII Aircraft and I would hate for him exhaust his writing skills elsewhere. But I am not sure how long I can remain in suspense, checking in hour after hour. I want to sit down and hold the book and know that I have his wonderful stories in my hand,— available in full, anytime.

Anyone with such amazing stories and such skill as a writer could easily publish a book that would carry his history into the future and preserve it for generations to come. Bill, if you will write a book, and we can get it published, I will commit to buying the first 100 copies.

Is there anyone else that would like to see Bill's book?

Having a book authored by Bill that covers his admirable life and service in the monumental fight for freedom in my small book collection would undoubtedly be a great honor.
However I do ackowledge that such decision belongs to him and whatever he decides to do with his valuable memoirs I support.
He is part of a generation that has inspired my life in so many ways.

That I would love to read as well. There are not enough books written y Japanese soldiers that fought in WW2 in English.

Frankly, as a kid, I was not interested in veterans' talks so much as they repeated same stories again and again like how terrible their army lives were. So did my father. Every time he repeated how bravely he served for his country, my mother reproached "and You Lost ! Work more for your family ! See your reality ! War was OVER !"

Everyone here has delighted in Bill Runnel's stories about his experiences as a WWII bombardier. He is a true American hero to all of us. However, I look forward to his stories so much that I have to log in twenty times a day just to see what he has posted. Not only are his stories interesting, he is a fabulous writer. All day long I keep asking myself, "What incredible story has Bill posted recently?" Yet he is carefully parcelling out each golden nugget of history. It is as if someone offered you a fine Scotch or Burgundy wine, and then gave you an eyedropper instead of a glass. I WANT THE BOOK.

Bill's has amazing contributions to WWII Aircraft and I would hate for him exhaust his writing skills elsewhere. But I am not sure how long I can remain in suspense, checking in hour after hour. I want to sit down and hold the book and know that I have his wonderful stories in my hand,— available in full, anytime.

Anyone with such amazing stories and such skill as a writer could easily publish a book that would carry his history into the future and preserve it for generations to come. Bill, if you will write a book, and we can get it published, I will commit to buying the first 100 copies.

Is there anyone else that would like to see Bill's book?
You sure know how to humble a guy. Sharing my stories one more time has been a pleasure. The warm welcome I received from the members of this forum makes me proud to be a member. Regarding the book, I no longer have the patience to undertake such a task. However, a 100 book sale up front is tempting:)

My friend, all you have to do is exactly what you have - just tell the stories.

You are a member of the greatest generation, and these snowflakes today would benefit from them.

I seriously would buy it in a heart beat!

You sure know how to humble a guy. Sharing my stories one more time has been a pleasure. The warm welcome I received from the members of this forum makes me proud to be a member. Regarding the book, I no longer have the patience to undertake such a task. However, a 100 book sale up front is tempting:)
My sisters grandfather in law left a long record of his life on tape recording, turned into text by some students. Although he lost a leg in WW1 his accounts of my home town in the early 1900s were hilarious and macabre. My town was a port and ship building centre. People frequently fell in the river and drowned. There was a "bounty" paid by the police/local councils for bodies removed from the river. However this "bounty" was not uniform along the river. His tale of getting a body out of the river, moving it up river, throwing it in and pulling it back out to get the best price was a description of another world and another way of life but at the time was only 70 years before. If you have the "lust" Bill leave a record, but do what you want anyway.

My sisters grandfather in law left a long record of his life on tape recording, turned into text by some students. Although he lost a leg in WW1 his accounts of my home town in the early 1900s were hilarious and macabre. My town was a port and ship building centre. People frequently fell in the river and drowned. There was a "bounty" paid by the police/local councils for bodies removed from the river. However this "bounty" was not uniform along the river. His tale of getting a body out of the river, moving it up river, throwing it in and pulling it back out to get the best price was a description of another world and another way of life but at the time was only 70 years before. If you have the "lust" Bill leave a record, but do what you want anyway.
A lot of what I have shared on the forum is a matter of record in a report prepared a number of years ago for out two sons. They will also receive the memorabilia I have so not all will be lost.

A lot of what I have shared on the forum is a matter of record in a report prepared a number of years ago for out two sons. They will also receive the memorabilia I have so not all will be lost.
In a similar vein, I remember reading about a Vickers Wellington that crashed in the region where my mother lived on a training flight. One engine ended up hitting a school building in Kirby Misperton where my Mother lived. She said "Oh I had forgotten all about that, we all thought we would have a few days off school but the place wasn't really damaged at all, we were so let down"

Bill, I bet you could easily find an up and coming young writer who'd jump at the opportunity to become a published author by collaborating with you to tell your story. Count me in for a first run copy.
Your stories here, arranged in chronological order, are already chapters in the book. And I bet there are plenty more where they came from. There are plenty of folk here who would gladly help you find photos, technical data, and statistics on such things as bombsights, navigation, gunnery, Training Command, etc, to supplement your own collection.
You clearly don't have the reticence to talk about it as so many WWII vets have, and younger generations don't have a clue as to what went on in those days. You can do them (and us) one more great service if you're so inclined. It's your call.
Cheers (and thanks),
Wes

Bill, I bet you could easily find an up and coming young writer who'd jump at the opportunity to become a published author by collaborating with you to tell your story. Count me in for a first run copy.
Your stories here, arranged in chronological order, are already chapters in the book. And I bet there are plenty more where they came from. There are plenty of folk here who would gladly help you find photos, technical data, and statistics on such things as bombsights, navigation, gunnery, Training Command, etc, to supplement your own collection.
You clearly don't have the reticence to talk about it as so many WWII vets have, and younger generations don't have a clue as to what went on in those days. You can do them (and us) one more great service if you're so inclined. It's your call.
Cheers (and thanks),
Wes
Wes.....I really appreciate your encouragement to write a book. The truth of the matter is I simply do not have the energy to take on such a project. My attention goes to family related matters and that consumes my time and energy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back