European Union Copyright Directive :: Possible Legislation affecting the internet

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
My concern is censorship: Already there's been entire social media platforms being taken down (and not everybody on them were right-wing extremists)

All it takes these days is for some douche to scream"I'm offended" to get anything and everything censored. As for copy righted materials, there should be protection. Hell, people have been copy righting other people's names. So where do you actually draw the line?

DP-6.png

What good will it do to sign since the enemies of freedom have already taken control of the internet. Obama gave away the U.S. portion of internet freedom to the Chinese when he refused to renew our net neutrality regulation.

Errr....weren't the net neutrality laws passed under the Obama administration, despite opposition from internet lobby groups. The FCC overcame prior objections by reclassifying ISPs as Title II organizations which put them firmly under regulatory control of the FCC. The Trump administration reversed that decision, returning the ISPs to Title I status.

What am I missing?

Errr....weren't the net neutrality laws passed under the Obama administration, despite opposition from internet lobby groups. The FCC overcame prior objections by reclassifying ISPs as Title II organizations which put them firmly under regulatory control of the FCC. The Trump administration reversed that decision, returning the ISPs to Title I status.

What am I missing?
It's possible that I may have been in error as to Obama. It was the uranium that he and Hillary sold to the Russians. Will passage of this regulation lead to a European Internet Access Tax?

Last edited:
My concern is censorship: Already there's been entire social media platforms being taken down (and not everybody on them were right-wing extremists)

Here is Australia the worlds third most powerful catholic has been found guilty of child sex abuse and the whole trial and verdict has been suppressed by the courts. The headlines and articles were available in Australia on foreign news web sites for about 24 hours and then disappeared so obviously some Aus government filters have blocked any article that mentions his name reaching here. For those in other countries who want to know his surname is Poppa Echo Lima Lima. His first name is Kawanishi N1K-J.

Last edited:
Here is Australia the worlds third most powerful catholic has been found guilty of child sex abuse and the whole trial and verdict has been suppressed by the courts. The headlines and articles were available on foreign news web sites for about 24 hours in Australia and then disappeared so obviously some Aus government filters have blocked any article that mentions his name reaching here.
And screen-caps would be blocked by upload filter.

Would a pdf of the article or screenshot be blocked? That is how I get updates at present. He is currently on trial for further child sex crimes.
There's quite a few ways for servers to filter content.
Facial recognition, keyword filtering and so on.
China has perhaps some of the best filtering known to exist, which is how they manage their citizen's content.
In regards to Imperial Japan's naughty late-war fighter, there's a considerable amount of coverage available here in the U.S.

And out of curiosity, is this Guardian article viewable down that way?
George Pell | Australia news | The Guardian

There's quite a few ways for servers to filter content.
Facial recognition, keyword filtering and so on.
China has perhaps some of the best filtering known to exist, which is how they manage their citizen's content.
In regards to Imperial Japan's naughty late-war fighter, there's a considerable amount of coverage available here in the U.S.

And out of curiosity, is this Guardian article viewable down that way?
George Pell | Australia news | The Guardian

This was seen here because it is not in relation to his child sex court cases. George Pell: Pope Francis removes Australian cardinal from inner circle

The last in relation to these court cases were variations of Prosecutors seek ban on reporting of George Pell trials.

He was found guilty of some charges in December and, AFAIK, is on trial at present facing additional charges, none of which can be reported here. From memory he was to be sentenced on the December findings this month but my overseas relatives have not seen anything on that or the current trial.

Unfortunately I deleted the December pdfs. The best were the NZ Herald on the day after the verdict where they announced they were publishing even though being the NZ arm of an Aus news group (News Ltd) so that Australians could learn what the Australian government and lawyers wanted kept hidden. That page dissappeared within a few hours along with the CNN and BBC articles.

If an Australian does a search of the nzherald.co.nz site for "George Pell" this is the result
1550735513207.png

By the way - these are screenshots of your linked page - are they identical for you?

1550733890070.png

1550733982361.png

Last edited:
Until this is implemented, memes and pamphlets/flyers are the key to get people's attention: I can be somewhat long-winded, and I figure the idea is to figure out how to distill the messages into several categories that can be m engage the emotions of different people and these would be good examples.

GrauGeist said:
What the ultimate goal of the EU copyright law is, will be essentially to make users licensed in order to access content. And with that goal, backed by Article 11, a "snippet tax" will be levied on sites that even use a portion (or quote) of a copyrighted article, again, like exists everywhere on this site in the various threads. I should also mention that I have posted my own photos to this site (which have embedded copyright info in the files), but technically, under the proposed copyright law, members of this site would have to be licensed in order to view them.

Clearly, this would mean the end of smaller websites, as they cannot afford the required file scanning servers as well as the fees and taxes. Larger sites will be able to afford the nessecary hardware, but this additional cost will have to be passed on to end-users in order to stay solvent.

The issue goes far beyond what I've covered, but in the end, the goal is to literally turn the internet into a licensed revenue generator and that's not acceptable.
This shouldn't be quoted -- it should be viewed as useful information that could be made into a meme.

Here are others...

Article 13 is back on – and it got worse, not better
EU copyright reform/expansion
https://www.change.org/p/european-parliament-stop-the-censorship-machinery-save-the-internet

The text from this could easily be made into a meme that would work

What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back