European Union Copyright Directive :: Possible Legislation affecting the internet

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I have always found interesting, is that the music labels insist that each device I own have a license in order to play a song, but I get those same songs for free on my FM radio, regardless of the vehicle I am driving at the time.

And I am one of those people who want to listen to a song before I buy it, too...

Back in the early 80's I listened to an American station called KISM out of Bellingham, Wash. It played what it called "Album Rock"; not your Top 40 stuff. At midnight they would play an entire album and that saved me a lot of money by finding out that an album had just one good song on it so I could get away with buying just a 45

Man, I remember picking up 45s...eapecially if an album only had one song worth getting.

Saved a bunch of money that way, but when 45s went by the wayside, it was back to getting an entire album (either vinyl, cassette or CD) until the advent of digital media. Although you could, on occasion, get singles on Cassette or CDs. The alternative, of course, was waiting for the favorite song to come on the radio and recording it!

Kids today don't know how real the struggle was. :lol:

One thing I have always found interesting, is that the music labels insist that each device I own have a license in order to play a song, but I get those same songs for free on my FM radio, regardless of the vehicle I am driving at the time.

but the radio station pay a fee for every song it broadcasts so they are still grabbing the moolah

but the radio station pay a fee for every song it broadcasts so they are still grabbing the moolah
Not for every song, terrestrial stations pay an annual fee based on playlists and audience.

However, I as the FM listener am not paying anything to hear it...so technically speaking, I am listening to someone else's music on an unregistered device - therefore, by their EULA definition on other media platforms, I'm a pirate! *arrggggg* :evil4:

Remember when blank cassette tapes caused the same hooplah with the record labels. Recording artists get about 12% of sales. One thing I have to say is that I don't pirate music. I just finished transferring my CD's to my phone and will now get a family membership with Apple Tunes. I found out earlier this year was that a Canadian band was in from the start regarding music piracy. I can guarantee almost all here have never heard of them; Dick Twang Band from Pouce Coupe, B.C.

Yep...reel-to-reel and Cassette recorders were going to be the downfall of the music industry.

The easy access to copyrighted material and the duplication and distribution of pirated material was going to be the end of western civilization as we know it.

Little did they know that in less than 20 years, tape recording would be the least of their problems...

I hope that shooting in New Zealand doesn't increase the odds on the GDPR getting forced through. It sounds cynical, but when the GDPR was facing heavy opposition, terrorist content became an issue (it never was before, so it's just a way to justify the actions) even though it makes up only 1% of content and most people delete it quick.

A crisis can't go to waste, so...

So the new rules are now clear. Basically it says that the web service is held responsible for any copyright material uploaded by it's users. The platform needs to install filters in order to prevent uploading of said material.

However, above rule counts if the platform meets the following criteria:
- the platform has a yearly turnover of a minimum of 10 milion euro
- has a minimum of 5 milion unique users from the Eu
- has existed for more than 3 years.

We only meet one of the above rules I think

However, even though we don't meet the criteria, we still need to apply to some rules.
We need to do "notice and take down". Which means that we are obliged to remove copyright material if it is pointed out to us.

So I guess we'll go on the way we did.

Last edited:
Yup. It's clearly aimed at the big boys like YouTube and Facebook. But it's difficult to define the border.
The other thing I'm not clear about, is how they define "copyrighted" material.

I've posted countless photographs of mine on Facebook, which bears a copyright.
So of a friend shares my photo to another page, will that be a copyright violation?

Or is this directive only going to support the music/media industry (which is behind this movement) in hopes of garnering more money for their pockets?

The other thing I'm not clear about, is how they define "copyrighted" material.

I've posted countless photographs of mine on Facebook, which bears a copyright.
So of a friend shares my photo to another page, will that be a copyright violation?

Or is this directive only going to support the music/media industry (which is behind this movement) in hopes of garnering more money for their pockets?
I have read all in Dutch and I find it difficult to explain in English. Apart from the fact that I'm not a lawyer, but a simple technician. But as far as I understand it is all material that falls under Author protection. Like books where you have the copyright statement. But I guess you can claim everything of which you can prove that you're the author. People then always need permission from you to publish that. I don't know if keeping silent and not complaining is inherently a permission.
Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe someone who knows more about these things can explain.

Last edited:
When does the GDPR go down to the nation/state-level, frankly I think the solution would be to produce protests, and embarrass the hell out of these people.

Last edited:
The nation-level vote will be May 26, so start building up and piling on the pressure for those in the EU

I don't know if keeping silent and not complaining is inherently a permission.
Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe someone who knows more about these things can explain.
By being silent, it is effectively, consenting to this.

I'm curious if anybody is doing anything more? It has to pass at the nation-state level, and that occurs on 25 May of this year. I figure the only crazy thing we could do, is submit to the likes of the individuals that wish to impose this monstrosity upon us all -- both in the EU and indirectly abroad -- to control the flow of information and keep us in the dark like mushrooms.

This flies in the face of any society that's good and decent should do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back