F-35 offical name to be almost decided

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

How about the most vicious territorial fighters in the bird kingdom...Hummingbird!! Just kidding.

The best most aptly named aircraft (even if it is not official)...Warthog. Ugly, gets down and gets dirty, and something you really don't want to run into when it's mad. Thunderbolt II will never be remembered.

I think Lightning is pretty fitting for the English Electric Lightning. And Sturmvogel (Stormbird) is pretty good.

it's mostly so bit fat clueless americans can brag about what new super plane they just saw "howdy partner, i just saw me a newfangled..." and most people just judge the plane on it's name anyway "it's called the falcon, it must be good, that must make us the best in the world", sadly CC already does this, all your names suck anyway, British names have, all through aviation history, been better.............

Haha lanc, i laughed out loud when i read that. Sounds like something a fellow texan might say.

As for the names... i'll give you the spitfire. that is the all-time best name for an airplane. in my book you can't debate that. Of course i'm going to say that american names are better than british because i grew up learning them and they just seem to fit better.

The name isn't for military buffs. Some names fit the plane perfectly, for example warthog like mentioned earlier. others, not so much. in my opinion its a good way to get publicity for the planes. people that dont drool uncontrollably when they hear "f-35" will get more excited with a good, fierce sounding name. take the f-18 for example. hornet is easy to remember and strikes an agressive and tough image. Look at cars. "Carrera" gives a feel to the car that "911" might not evoke in most people. just my thoughts.

"I think Lightning is pretty fitting for the English Electric Lightning. And Sturmvogel (Stormbird) is pretty good."

Sturmvogel sounds cool. kind of clunky to me because i dont know any german but translated it sounds wicked. the lightning doesnt fit its bird well i dont think. Fast, yes. But to the casual observer, not streamlined, and it took me some time to get used to the squarey wings and odd engine placement. im used to it now, but i think something a little more gruff and tough would have served it better.

ah yes i forgot you're so low on names you have to reuse them, can a bomber's name be used for a fighter though?........

the lancaster kicks *** said:
ah yes i forgot you're so low on names you have to reuse them, can a bomber's name be used for a fighter though?........
Why not? I think the RAF version of the F-35 should be called the Lancaster! :lol:

I know it's already being used for an ARM, but I think Shrike would be a good name for the F-35. It kind of describes it's flying ability.

Lanc, you comment on the U.S re-using names. Yet the Lightning has been used twice. Tornado twice. Typhoon twice...

i hardly think the first tornado really counts :rolleyes: and the first lightning was a british name for an american aircraft that we never even adopted so i never really count it, and the name thphoon just rocks ;) besides atleast we don't actually put II after it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back