F4U-1/F4U-1'A'/F4U-1D Instruments

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

scottdj

Recruit
Jun 2, 2008
Does anyone know of an information source that lists which instruments were used in the F4U-1 series? For example, the manufacturers of the main tank fuel gauage, altimeter, compass, etc. I would guess that several different makes may have been used. But there must be a list somewhere that lists whether a particular manufacturers instrument was was used in the F4U-1s. I would expect it to include part #, etc. so that I could identify whether or not it could have been used in an F4U-1 series.
THX

Does anyone know of an information source that lists which instruments were used in the F4U-1 series? For example, the manufacturers of the main tank fuel gauage, altimeter, compass, etc. I would guess that several different makes may have been used. But there must be a list somewhere that lists whether a particular manufacturers instrument was was used in the F4U-1s. I would expect it to include part #, etc. so that I could identify whether or not it could have been used in an F4U-1 series.
THX

Interesting question, unfortunately I don't have an answer but maybe some one else will as I'm interested as well.

Hi Scottdj

This is the complete instrument section from the F4U-1, F3A-1, FG-1, F4U-1C, F4U-1D, FG-1D, Erection and Maintenance Handbook dated 01/07/1945. Should have all the info you need.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• F4U1 instrument section 01-45HA-2 -1.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 884
That was exactly what I was looking for, but a few more questions:

1) Somce of the instruments/gages do not have a pat number listed, for example the compass, do you know of another source that lists the compasses that were used in the F4U-1 variants?

2) I belive that an AN prefix indicates Army/Navy, what does F.S.S.C stand for, I have googled it, but I have a number of hits, not sure what thiis meant in WWII.

3) All of the manuals, which the section you sent was a part, are pretty expensive, do you know of how to get a copy, either original, or reproduction, for less than $100, or better yet less than $50.

4) I have two Fuel Quantity gages, an EA-100-2AB, and an EA-100-16. I know the main fuel tank in the F4U-1s was 237 U.S. gallons, did the capacity change with the F4U-4/5? The making on the diall seem the same, although the -2AB has 'FUEL', next line 'MAIN TANK, next line 'GALS'. One the -16, it has 'FUEL' (in white, next line 'MAIN TANK', in blue/turqoise, then sever lines down is has 'U.S. GALS, also in blue/turquoise. Did the F4u-4s -5s have the same 237 gal manin fuel tank?

Thanks,
Scott

Scottdj

1) I don't have details on the part numbers for the remote indicating compass, but they would not be unique to the Corsair - many aircraft would have the same equipment. An IPC would be handy :rolleyes:

2) See FLYBOYJ's comment

3) Evilbay:evil: is your friend - maybe!

4) The main tank fuel capacity changed from 237 to 230 gal and the fuel system was upgraded with the intro of the -4. Don't know so much about the -5.

HTH

Cheers

Peter

First I'd like to thank all that have replied to my original post, they were very helpful.

I have two F4U Fuel Gauges, an EA 100-2AB, and a EA 100-16. I would like to hook up a circuit just to make the needle move. I would think it would be fairly simple, if I had a schematic. The connector has pins labeled A, B, C, and D. Does anyone have any information on this topic. I thought I'd start with this fuel gauge since is seems like it would be simple to wire it, with a power source, rheostat, etc., just to make the neddle move.

From what I think I know, it's a 24 volt DC circuit. I would guess that the cables/connectors were somewhat standard, and that all of pins might not even be needed, i.e., they are open.

Any help will be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back