F6F Hellcat Recommendations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robert Porter

Senior Master Sergeant
I would like to build a 1:48th or 1:32 scale F6F Hellcat. Any recommendations on a specific kit that will be a good one to use?

I have seen 4 common kits that appear to be within my budget, one from Revell, two from Eduard one of which is called the "Weekend" version, and one from Tamiya.

I seem to recall that the Revell kit is a reissue of the older kit with raised rivets and panel lines as opposed to the more modern inset ones. Other than that I don't know much about any of the kits.

My budget is no more than around $50.00USD for the kit, less would be better!

Cheers,

Robert

This.....my friend is the Revell kit. You do not want to go there...
--> **** DONE: 1/48 F6F-5K HELLCAT DRONE - Post-War Warbirds

As mentioned in the article, I have the Eduard kit and the Eduard Weekend kit and they look fantastic. The Weekend part means you only get one decal option and no P.E.. I've also done the Hasegawa kit and it was a slam together

Thanks for explaining the difference in the Eduard kits. I am thinking after reading a couple of kit reviews of going in that direction. But wow, the Revell kit interior is indeed non-existant. Have not found much on the Hasegawa kit but I see a lot about the Hobby Boss kit, good and bad.

I think I will have to save my pennies and opt for the Eduard full kit as opposed to the Weekender, and maybe buy a few add-ons after I figure out what comes in the kit.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That's the one with all the extras. The Weekender is the basic. Also look for something called Eduard overtrees on the Eduard site. This just contains the plastic sprues, not even sure if they are in a box. Kinda hit and miss with these though. Just type in "eduard overtrees" into the search engine of your choice

That's the one with all the extras. The Weekender is the basic. Also look for something called Eduard overtrees on the Eduard site. This just contains the plastic sprues, not even sure if they are in a box. Kinda hit and miss with these though. Just type in "eduard overtrees" into the search engine of your choice

I had no idea overtrees existed! Great cost savings as well. Provided you can suss out how to do without instructions although I know there are lots of sources for those. Would also be a great second model to allow building multiple versions. Thanks for the info!

Eduard has you covered there my friend. Once you choose the overtree, find the original kit on there site. Eduard know that d̶o̶o̶f̶u̶s̶e̶s̶, d̶o̶o̶f̶u̶s̶s̶e̶s̶, d̶o̶o̶f̶u̶s̶i̶i̶ idiots like me can and will lose the occasional instruction sheet so the include a PDF you can down-load...

capture.jpg

I have been pursing the Modeling Madness site for the last hour, thanks! It is a pretty good review site. Tom Cleaver seems to be fairly prolific in reviewing as well. ARC I have been to as well will take a look there again today as well as HyperScale. Obviously the reviews are subjective as one author raves about a particular kit that others rant against but you can certainly get a good feel for the relative merits or faults.

Because of reviews by you and others I have ruled out the Revell kit and am focused now on the Eduard and Hasegawa kits. Trumpeter and HobbyBoss seem to get a lot of criticism about totally inaccurate fuselage size and profile. Revell of course lacks detail to such a level it would seem only to be worthy of use if you were going to perfect your scratchbuild techniques on it.

Agree with Wayne. I built two and they went together beautifully. The only criticism is that they wheels are a bit narrow but it's an easy fix.

Watch for overtrees as they may not include decals either.

Here are my two builds:

**** DONE : 1/48 Hellcat Mk I JV-131 No 800 Squadron HMS Emperor

**** DONE: 1/48 Hellcat Mk. II - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Great builds! Based on the feedback I am going with the Eduard kit. I will get a complete kit and maybe a set of overtrees for spares and plunders. I will post here and on my blog once I get going!

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back