Late 1/48 Bf 109 Kit Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Igor, the Buchon kit I have didn't have the G-6 type gun pods. It had the rockets and multiple rails used by the Spanish Air Force, and lots of other bits, but not the pods. Built mine as one of the modified Buchons from the BoB movie, as the original Hobbycraft-issued kit for this is no longer available.
It seems that, when Academy re-issue a former Hobbycraft kit, they provide better canopies, as, unlike HC items, these are thin and very clear. Not had a scratched one -yet!
Removing scratches and polishing a canopy should only take a couple of hours, at most, depending on how bad the scratch is. The trick is to use worn, very fine wet n' dry, used wet, and sand (if needed) very gently. Use the equivalent to 'T-Cut' car body colour restorer, with a soft cloth, and polish this in, then polish it off, clean the canopy (dry), polish with a clean, dry, soft cloth again (yellow, car-polishing dusters are good for this, followed by cotton wool), then wash the canopy to remove any traces of the polish. Once done, repeat the above steps if needed, until the canopy looks free of marks. Once dipped in Future, if required or desired, it should then really sparkle.

Last edited:
1st pic as supplied. 2nd pic as modified to a G-4:

110326 Cowl Closeup.jpg

110409 Supercharger Intake New.jpg

cant add too much info but i have built the Academy Bf 109 K -4 and i really like the fit of it , fit together really really well! its like some of the tamiya stuff just flys together and you almost feel robbed. Downsides if i remember correctly are radiator intakes under the wings and under the engine are molded pretty simply being closed rather than open ... Im not sure if this would be a good kit for you or not because you might find yourself fixing things but as far a price go its semi cheap and fits very well. Im sure hasegawa is the way to go. If you keep an eye on ebay and your not in a hurry im sure you would find on jump into your arms. lately when i was sleeping at the wheel i watched a 1\48 hasegawa combo of Ar 234 B2N and bf 109K go for 25 bucks ! I have their G 14 and E 3 havent really got into them yet .

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm wary of Academy stuff as it seems they can be hit and miss for accuracy. Not that I care about small thinks like misplaced panel lines but if there are obvious things that you can see, it turns me off. Their 1/72 FW190 is a good example.

I know how you feel Andy. Academy have some really beautiful kits, at reasonable prices - their P-47, Sabre and P-38 being good examples. But then they also have the odd 'blooper' - the MkXIV Spit comes to mind!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back