FAA Seafire vs Corsair

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

All of them knew more about flying, shooting at aircraft and air combat than you do. Discounting the testimony of veterans is foolish if you are trying to understand WW2 air combat. They may not have the whole picture, but they provide soem of the most valuable data. No one source has the whole picture but you'll never come close to understanding what was going on without listening to the pilots who actually did the fighting.

And quite a few .45 automatics were inaccurate, because they were old, damaged and / or poorly maintained. I have seen that first hand at military firing ranges.

Veterans typically have reasons for making the observations they do. They aren't always right, but they are right more often than us armchair observers or researchers. Quite often things that veterans were saying that didn't initially seem to make sense were explained by subsequent data. I personally try not to dismiss their words outright.

The thing was, you've lost the plot. I was never criticizing the British for not adopting the .50 cal. I was just pointing out that it's misleading to say that typical mid Spitfire / early Seafire armament of two 20mm cannons with four .303 light machine guns was superior to six .50 cal Brownings. That's all I was saying. The British did the best they could with the options available to them, and their weapons were good, though they too had various teething issues that had to be worked out. The main issue with 20mm was fitting enough of them (and enough ammunition) in the wings of some of their existing fighter types, like the Spitfire.

I've also already pointed out that the US wanted to and would have adopted the 20mm but were unable to overcome certain technical problems. But they too would have faced a learning curve getting them functioning well in their fighter aircraft.

Are you confusing this discussion with some other thread? I wasn't arguing against the British use of the 20mm, or their initial adoption of the .303. (Almost) everyone was using light .30 caliber machine guns at the dawn of WW2. At least the British put a lot of them on their newer fighters, and quickly adopted cannon.

There are several other photos, and in fact a video, but my google-fu is failing me. He is a pilot of the 79th Fighter Group, I thought his named was George Mobray or something like that.

It's really easy to see in the photo that the round detonated inside the fuselage, you can see the aluminum alloy peeled back above and below. Shrapnel definitely hit the fuselage fuel tank which is right there, and also definitely hit the armor plate which is exactly at that point. But this isn't exactly unusual.

Here is a Spitfire with very similar damage

A hellcat with cannon holes in the port wing, which definitely hit the fuel tank.

Here is the famous image of Clive Caldwell's Tomahawk after he was in a combat with Otto Schulz, and his aircraft recieved multiple bullet and cannon strikes several of which you can see in the image. The fluid on the fuselage is apparently oil though it's likely the rear fuel tank was punctured as well.

You can clearly see three cannon strikes on his starboard wing, one of which flattened his tire, and the cannon strike on the top of his fuselage.

Let's try to compare apples to apples.

I really think you have lost the plot here mate.

Last edited:
I have found several other photos. like the 20mm strike in the port aileron.

But that isn't close to the fuel tank is it?????/
You see what you want to see. Like.........................................
A hellcat with cannon holes in the port wing, which definitely hit the fuel tank.
An experimental Hellcat with a fuel tank in the wing?
Hellcats had the fuel tanks in the fuselage. the damage on the photo was in the machine gun bay.
. The fluid on the fuselage is apparently oil though it's likely the rear fuel tank was punctured as well.
And you can tell the fuel tank was punctured how?
BTW the Tomahawk had the oil tank above the rear fuselage tank. On the Kittyhawk the oil tank was moved forward to just behind the firewall, where the fuselage 50 cal ammo used to be.
I really think you have lost the plot here mate.

I think you have posted a number of photos with your own interpretations and none of them show the damage a 20mm Hispano caused.

I have found several other photos. like the 20mm strike in the port aileron.
View attachment 675180
But that isn't close to the fuel tank is it?????/
Yes, that's the same guy, same plane, but not the only other hit right? Do you have a link? There is (or was) a short video on Youtube as well but I don't recall the search terms.

Good googling....

IIRC he's holding the plug from the 20mm round there which he ended up keeping and wearing as a pendant to the end of the war, when he died in an accident.

You see what you want to see. Like.........................................
I'm just calling it like I see it, not the other way around.

You don't see metal peeled back from the inside here? Seriously?

An experimental Hellcat with a fuel tank in the wing?
Hellcats had the fuel tanks in the fuselage. the damage on the photo was in the machine gun bay.
Ok fair enough, that was an assumption on my part. Just like you assumed for some bizarre reason I was criticizing the Royal Air Force's choice of armament in the BoB.

Are you saying that Hispano did a huge amount more damage than an MG FF, Oerlikon, or MG 151?

As a side note I have to laugh every time I see a photo like this, a couple of months ago we had a long thread about the importance of armour and self sealing tanks on fighters with many members saying the advantages of it were overrated especially on the A6M, that Spit pilot is smiling, if he was flying a Zero his parents would be getting a KIA letter.

Veterans are not always accurate. One egregious example comes to mind from an USAAF instructor pilot who was stateside his entire time. We had a heated argument with him saying the US should not have declared war on Germany and I pointing out was Hitler who declared was on the US Dec 10th. Although proof is verifiable, he still believed he was right the last time we met several years ago. He also had some different ideas about various aircraft characteristics from veterans who flew them in theater. I have heard discussions at odds about their planes abilities when the old pilots were together back when there were enough of them to meet during the CAF airshow week.

Hi

Yes not all 20mm guns were the 'same' and not all 0.50 in/12.7mm were the 'same' in performance. Their effectiveness would depend on a variety of factors which included muzzle velocity, rate of fire, reliability and more important the effectiveness of the rounds used. All these factors could differ in one individual design let alone mulitble designs, early US aircraft 0.50 in were 'worse' than later ones, the different marks of Hispano guns also differed, a brief summary from 'British Aircraft Armament Volume 2' by R Wallace Clarke:

Comments on types of Hispano 20mm ammunition from G F Wallace's book:

Also a brief summary of aircraft guns from 'Aircraft of the Second World War, The Development of the Warplane 1935-45' editor Philip Jarrett:

The whole thing about Seafire v Corsair is odd because they were not 'competitors', indeed the Corsair and Hellcat should have been 'better' naval fighters as they were designed as such and were introduced later than the Seafire. The Seafire was introduced into service in June 1942 and was first used operationally in November 1942, FAA Corsairs did not arrive until June 1943 with their first operation in April 1944, the Hellcat did not arrive until July 1943 with its first operation in December 1943. The FAA could not rely on US production to fulfil its needs so used a mixture of types from Britain and the US, the Seafire, and the Sea Hurricane, provided the higher performing fighters when they were desperately needed, they were far from perfect but waiting for a 'perfect' Corsair or Hellcat to turn up was not an option to fight a war as they would easily become "too little, too late" for 1942/1943, as the Wildcat was for 1940. The FAA of 1944-45 was of course much better equipped with its mixture of aircraft.

Mike

In you look at successful versus unsuccessful implementations, the Hispanos issues make sense.
The gun was designed to be mounted to an engine block (motor-cannon). And it works as designed when mounted firmly - the test stand, the nose of a P-38, the belly of P-61 or P-70, and even in the wings of a SB2C.​
But when you mount in the wings of a fighter, it doesn't operate reliably because the wings flex and as a result the action does cycle completely.​
The RAF solution was to shorten the chamber, which would crush the cartridge in a solid mount, but worked just fine in the wing mounts.​
Why the USAAF refused to make this expedient fix is the real question.​

Rerunning your numbers to add the CE for the 0.5, and that 8% of 130g is closer to 10g of HE.

six 12.7mm Browning = 78 rounds per second, at 41 grams, a 'weight' of 3,276 grams at 890 m/s + CE of 78 * 1 * 4,180 = 1,297,40 + 326,040 = 1,623,500 Joules
two 20mm Hispano II = 20 rounds per second, at 122 grams, a 'weight' of 2,400 grams at 860 m/s = KE of 887,520 Joules + CE of 20 x 10 x 4180 = 887,520 + 836,000 = 1,723,520 Joules

So, closer, but 2 Hispanos still trumps 6 - 50s. (And I think the HE should be counted as part of the initial KE as its part of damaging mass right up to ignition.

In Mosquito, Tempest and Typhoon at war, the bean counters noted, that post D-Day on average, the planes were coming back with less than 1/2 ammunition expended. So, they reduced load outs to 60%. (Lies, damn lies and statistics) much to the dismay of the pilots involved.

That makes sense, and they actually had similar problems with the 12.7mm (and I think, .30 cal) in the wings, for similar reasons, but with the 20mm the Americans had other problems. They had issues with fuselage mounted 20mm all the way into the Vietnam era. I think there was something to do with a firing pin. I'm not sure what else.

Again, I don't think that physics works that way. You don't just add the HE energy to the ballistic energy like that. The HE has some different effects which are both good and bad. It can hit even with near misses, which is good, but it can detonate before penetrating, which isn't always helpful.

Maybe if the HE charge was added to the propellant, or went off right before impact like a gyrojet, increasing velocity. Anyway, not applicable.

But while we are at it, here is the stats for the M3 browning, which many US - made fighters were carrying by 1943:

six M3 12.7mm Browning = 120 rounds per second, at 41 grams = a 'weight' of 4,920 grams at 890 m/s 1,948,566 Joules (not counting any effects from the incendiary charge)

So that blows away two Hispanos.

So, closer, but 2 Hispanos still trumps 6 - 50s. (And I think the HE should be counted as part of the initial KE as its part of damaging mass right up to ignition.

Right. It definitely doesn't trump 6 x M2s, and is dwarfed by six M3s

Those were mostly strafing missions right?

Yeah, they aren't the 'same' and I certainly never said they were. But my argument was that the Hispanos didn't have vastly more impact than other 20mm cannon, enough to invalidate the point I was making (fighter aircraft could and did survive cannon strikes). Specifically compared to German cannon:

--------------------------------- Projectile Wt. -------HE %
(German) 20 X 80 RB API--------- 110 ------------ 3%
(German) Mini / HE --------------- 110 ------------ 22%
Hispano II ------------------------- 130 ------------ 8%
Hispano V ------------------------- 130 ------------ 8%

So while the basic German API round had less HE than the Hispano, the Minengeschoß was 22% (18 grams) of HE, which is a much bigger bang than the Hispano, which I believe was about 10 grams. So depending on the ammo, the German guns were actually hitting almost twice as hard, at least in terms of explosive power.

The reason I didn't post a bunch of pics of Axis aircraft with cannon damage is in part because it's not always clear in a photo like that whether it was hit by heavy machine guns or cannon, whereas conversely if an Allied plane has holes larger than rifle caliber it's usually from a 20mm cannon (sometimes larger ones though usually in the case of heavy bombers).

Well, they were competitors in the sense that US Corsairs (in action in early 1943) and US Hellcats (in action mid 1943) were engaging with the same enemy. We were not, so far as I know, constrained to discuss what aircraft flew (or could have flown) for the Royal Navy and when. It was just a strait comparison between Seafire and Corsair. And as you note, Corsair was a purpose built Naval fighter which is why it was better.

Again, I never write my comments as a critique of the FAA or RN procurement policies, though there is certainly a discussion to be had there. It's probably for another thread.

Bill

You don't see metal peeled back from the inside here? Seriously?
I see a fair amount of sheet metal peeled back, I also see a fair amount of fragment holes below the large hole that look like the fragments came from the outside. Also a fair number of scrape marks radiating out from the hole in the lower arc. Unless we have two shells expanding very close to each other how to we reconcile that?
Shell exploded either on the skin surface or partially penetrated? A German shell was about 80mm in length so you can have fragments (or force) applied to different sides of the same hole on thin skins. But if the shell exploded on the aircraft skin it did not hit the armor plate as an intact projectile.
Please look at the picture of the Spitfire in post #145. I would guess that the shell hit on angle judging from the fragment holes above and the lack of fragment holes below. the Sheet metal is blown in strongly suggesting a surface explosion.

On the P-40 in question there are photos (and maybe others?) that show the hit on right hand fuselage in back of the cockpit, there was another hit on the right hand horizontal stabilizer very close to the fuselage. Camera is just above the stabilizer tip so it is hard to see but looks like the shell went in just over the elevator?

Then there is the photo of the left side aileron where it looks like the shell went in through the back of aileron (deflecting the trim tab out of the way?) and exploded either in the forward edge of the aileron or the wing just in front of the hinge point )or both (80 mm long shell)

Note that the aileron is metal covered on the leading edge and fabric covered over most of it's surface.
IF (saying if) that is the entry hole in aileron visible through his fingers holding the shell fragment/plug) it looks like the shell was traveling a bit to left to where the greatest damage to the rear of the wing is. The raised up panel is blast damage (torn rivets or screws)
There are 3 photos on the 87th fighter group website, I have no idea where the extra hits went.
Are you saying that Hispano did a huge amount more damage than an MG FF, Oerlikon, or MG 151?
20 mm projectiles ranged from 79 grams (Japanese army) to 130 grams for the Hispano.
Muzzle energy ranged from 19,700 joules for the MG/FF to 46,900 joules for the Hispano (long barrel)
HE content ranged from under 4 grams to 20 grams (German mine shell)
Define "huge amount"?
Obviously there was a substantial difference between the extremes.

The RAF solution was to shorten the chamber, which would crush the cartridge in a solid mount, but worked just fine in the wing mounts.Why the USAAF refused to make this expedient fix is the real question.
I think the Hispano was designed to use greased ammunition, I could be wrong on this and the grease was used as a "work around". The 20mm Oerlikon definitely used greased ammo.
The Greased ammo was not looked upon with favor, greased ammo got a lot less "greasy" at cold temperatures/high altitudes shall we say.

The grease performed two functions. It offered resistance as the cartridge went in taking up sloppy tolerances. One of the problems was light firing pin strike causing miss fires (and trying to re-cock the gun). It also did lubricate the case on the way back out (extraction).
The short chamber solved the firing pin strike problem.

Last edited:
But while we are at it, here is the stats for the M3 browning, which many US - made fighters were carrying by 1943:

six M3 12.7mm Browning = 120 rounds per second
There were NO M3s in 1943-44.
None.
Nada
Zilch.
There were darn few in 1945.
The Gun that would become the M3 was the Frigidaire T25E3 and testing started at Aberdeen July 19th 1944. It was standardized in April of 1945. A batch of guns (up to 10,000?) were built using the T25E3 designation for large scale trials.
They had issues with fuselage mounted 20mm all the way into the Vietnam era. I think there was something to do with a firing pin. I'm not sure what else.
It seems like the US was only using some 20mm Hispanos in Vietnam. In Skyraiders and few old navy aircraft.
The US had number of 20mm guns using several different cartridge cases. Most being electrically primed.

From Anthony Williams website.
The 20x102 was the Air force ammo. The 120x110USN was US navy, these two were both electrically primed.
The 20x110 came both percussion primed for the M3 Hispano and electrically primed for the M-24 gun.

I am not saying there weren't problems with electrically primed guns in jungle conditions. But they may have been different than the percussion fired guns.

Hey Wild_Bill_Kelso,

A couple of points:

In WWII the highest MV for a new .50 cal M2, AN/M2 Aircraft Gun (36" barrel) was only 2835 ft/sec.
A new M2 HB (45" barrel) had a maximum MV of 2935 ft/sec.

As Shortround6 mentions above the .50 cal M3 saw almost no service in WWII. The M3 was not adopted until April 1945, and I think (I may be wrong) that none of the 2300 produced before the war ended were fired in anger. As far as I know the first M3s deployed were in the F8F Bearcats that were on the way to the PTO when the war ended. So using the M3 variant for this discussion is kind of pointless.

The British HE/I Mk IZ could penetrated 8mm of RHA I.T.70 (440-470 BHN) before detonating, ensuring that under normal circumstances the round would penetrate some distance into the aircraft before exploding. Extreme shallow striking angles (grazing) would often cause the round to detonate on or near the aircraft skin. .50 cal AP M2 would usually fail to penetrate at similar impact angles.

Hey don4331,

re the 8 grams of explosive

I was using the explosive content for the US 20mm HE-I Mk I round. The Ordnance Department lists it as having 120 grains (7.776 grams) Pentolite 50/50 and 50 grains (3.25 grams) Incendiary compound. Pentolite 50/50 has a TNT equivalence value of 1.05 so 1.05 x 7.776 = 8.165 or rounding off = 8 grams.

I left out the Incendiary compound because I did not think it would contribute a KE equivalent.

I don't need to reconcile anything. I don't think you need to tie your brain in knots, because I really don't think it's that complicated. You just don't want to accept what you are looking at for reasons I won't speculate on. The heavy gauge aluminum alloy is bent like the ribs on a hapless astronaut in one of the Alien movies after the chest burster comes out. It's painfully obvious that it detonated inside, a few cm from the armor plate. This in turn means that fragments undoubtedly struck both the armor plate and the fuselage fuel tank, which is right there. Whether it detonated actually on the armor plate I can't say, we can't know unless they stuck the camera inside the whole or took the aircraft apart. But it's clear that it detonated very close to it, within 2-3 cm IMO.

Was there another shell? Was there another shooter in Dealey Plaza in 1963? There certainly could have been, these are machine cannons after all which shoot multiple shells. But we certainly don't need one to explain what we are looking at. It's obvious to anyone with eyes.

And this nit-pick within a nit pick, is pointless. I was demonstrating that cannon shell strikes (such as the Hispano) did not automatically destroy aircraft they hit. The British Hispano 20mm had more ballistic energy, but the Germans did have much larger explosive charges available for their 20mm he / Minie than what the Hispano 20mm carried. No way to be sure which type we were looking at here and in the other shots I posted (though the German fighters were carrying the minie shells by 1944 when this aircraft was hit) , but I don't think it's that hard to interpret. A 20mm cannon could leave anywhere from just a few shell fragment holes, to an orange to a melon sized hole in an enemy aircraft, which was potentially very devastating, especially if you land a close group of say 5-10 hits. But WW2 aircraft are pretty big and can often withstand multiple hits from these. A closely grouped burst of 20mm shells could tear off a wing, break a fuselage in half, pulverize a pilot, shatter an engine etc., but a close group of 12.7mm bullets could do that too.

Neither are "automatic" kill weapons by any means.

Please look at the picture of the Spitfire in post #145. I would guess that the shell hit on angle judging from the fragment holes above and the lack of fragment holes below. the Sheet metal is blown in strongly suggesting a surface explosion.

Maybe? I see people claiming that a 20mm Hispano will always penetrate deeper before exploding, I don't think that is always true however. In fact it seems from images I see that they often detonate on the surface. But what difference does it make? It was obviously close enough for fragments to penetrate into the interior.

It's the 79th fighter group, 87th fighter squadron

Those photos are actually stills from a short film of about 5 minutes, which shows the whole aircraft. It used to be on youtube but maybe it was taken down. IIRC there were 4-5 cannon strikes on the aircraft, which was subsequently repaired and put back into action. Maybe sent to the Soviets or the Free French later as they often did with 'battle weary' birds.

Well, it's definitely not an order of magnitude is it? Hispano has more ballistic energy but the German HE shells had about twice as much explosive power. I'd say it's fairly close. But if you insist, I'll go find some German aircraft which landed safely with obvious cannon strikes. I know that many German and Italian fighters and light bombers returned damaged but not destroyed from engagements with Spitfire Mk V and later, from Hurricane IIC and so on. By definition if they were damaged but not destroyed by a Hurricane IIC that was 20 mm Hispano strikes. Do you need me to go find some examples of this?

Last edited:

Ok fair enough, lets stick with the 12.7mm M2 for our comparison. Six of them are still obviously at least as good as two 20mm Hispano plus four .303s.

They were having trobule with 20mm on several US Airforce and Navy aircraft, right through the Vietnam era. The GE multi-barrel "gattling" type guns seemed to fix this problem, and I guess they used electronic firing. But those things are out of ammunition really quick.

I saw a firepower demonstration once of a M113 track vehicle with one of those. It was insanely impressive. Like many of the young soldiers present, I was in awe, and made comments to that effect. An old E8 standing next to me with a combat patch on his right shoulder wryly pointed out that in Vietnam, the VC would duck into fox holes during the (extremely impressive) "BRAAAAAAAP" when that thing was shooting, and then come out and set up their B10 rockets, knowing it was out of ammunition. Even an M113 only carried enough shells for about a minute or two of firing. Aircraft obviously carried a lot less.

I think a 30 mm Aden or equivalent is probably better for aircraft.

No too sure you are correct here. The Hellcat had the better kill-to-loss ratio for air-to-air combat, and produced a lot more aces by virtue of viceless handling and ruggedness. Had the later Corsair's engine and propeller combination been used by a new Hellcat version, it would have been a better fighter, particularly if they had let Grumman eliminate the outer wing panel dihedral as they requested, to increase the roll rate. The Hellcat doesn't takes a back seat to the Corsair in much, perhaps top speed, roll rate, and maybe a slight climb delta. I seriously doubt the real-world climb delta as the two used the same engine and prop for most of the war and weighed almost the same empty, with the Corsair being heavier at gross. Everything else including range and combat radius is better for the Hellcat or a wash at worst. The Hellcat certainly turns better, handles better, and will not wind up in the sea due to carb icing as a Corsair easily can since the Hellcat does not use ram air, specifically to preclude carb ice at sea in cold conditions.

There's not much to complain about if you are flying a Hellcat against another piston fighter. Ask the man who flew one.

Users who are viewing this thread