From the P-51D P-51B POH:
Those are the official average take off distances, so obviously they're with flaps Bill. The figures you presented were calculated, the doc says so itself in the beginning.
Two points Soren - first look to the note on the lower right side of the 51 chart you presented - highlighting that "20 degrees flaps -80% of Chart" - Obviously the table values on the left do Not represent flaps used in TO - and for what it is worth the tables you found seem accurate otherwise
Second Point. The Flight tests in June 45 by Gentile yielded Better results than the Calulated results for 2-46.
Here are the Official German figures, the same Leistung Daten chart, and ALL the take off landing distance figures are at std. atmosphere and zero wind:
Moving on to turn rate;
First Crumpp's comparison:
FW-190 D-9
FW-190 A-8
This is real physics, and they don't change.
I'll post the German comparative remarks tommorrow.
I have a lot of respect for Crump's charts and his math. I would also point out that the models presented are subject to the engine performance at different altitudes, depending on where the blowers kick in so even the models must be carefully used with all caveats discussed
They do not, however, represent anything more than a mathmatical model. Aerodynamics and flight mechanics are math models to arrive at estimates of predicted performance.
The reason flight tests are performed, other than for better understanding of the limits of aircraft, are to demonstrate the REAL physics and characteristics.
An aircraft is a complicated model. Extrapolations on lift are influenced by Wing-Body interaction, laminar flow separation, unexpected wash out, complications introduced by aeroelastic effects due to wing loads when angle of attack is changed by those loads, etc, etc.
That is why we will always be talking past each other. If you make an statement that a Fw 190D-9 out turns an Anton or a P-51D and I ask you for the Test data - and you present Gene's performance calculations - I'm interested but unconvinced for all the reasons I mentioned above.
Gene would tell you the same thing about calculations versus flight tests. The calcs lead to design, tests lead to adjustment of calcs/models to fit real life, modified models lead to next design, etc. I lived in that world, but mostly airframe structures after my first two years.
Circle back to key points.
Caldwell reproduces comments and diary from JG26 during December, 1944.
Diary expresses disappointment that the Anton out turns and out rolls the Dora, and worse does not out perform the Mustang.
You say Caldwell 'full of it' and every LW pilot knows that none of that is true.
And the debate rolled on from there. I found flight tests as late as March 1945 that refuted your top numbers, you found performance charts that substantiated yours. In all candor, I don't read German so I don't know if the charts you presented on the D were Flight Test or Theoretical calculations based on wind tunnel drag results.
and so on.
So, what do you believe substantiates your claim that the Dora was faster and out turned the Mustang? Do you have anything in the way of Flight tests or other one on one comparative tests that substantiate your claim? An anecdotal comment is interesting as part of the equation, but not the conclusive fact
You just dismissed the Calculated values from USAAF Flight Test Reports (even though the calculated figures for speed and climb were less than actual test results), but posed Gene's very nice performance charts as gospel. Why the selective embrace of one while dismissing the other?
At any rate I KNOW that the take off roll for a loaded 51 as I described it above, on a hard runway with 20 degrees of flaps is in the 1000-1100 foot range from personal experience so I had to really look at the tables you presented to try to figure the discrepancy. But by my own rules, anecdotal is interesting but not conclusive fact - I buy that.