Favorite Post-War aircraft designer.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dac

Airman 1st Class
Aug 29, 2005
British Columbia
Which individual did the best at taking advantage of new technology when designing new aircraft after WW II? The jet engine opened up a whole new realm of possibilties and pushed aerodynamicists to their limits. Who got it right when designing aircraft on paper that some test pilot was actually going to have to put his life on the line in?

I agree with you about Johnson FLYBOYJ, he was an amazing engineer. His intuition about aerodynamics was so good that someone, I forget who, claimed Johnson could actually see air.

My choice for best designer would be Alexander Lippisch. His tailess delta wing design was one of the most copied in the 50-60s. He emigrated to the U.S. after the war, joined Convair and helped build the F-102, F106 and B-58 Hustler.

Don't know much about post-war planes, but when I was a kid I fell in love with the Mirage... So I dare say Marcel Dassault, even if I know how dangerous is to talk about Frenchmen in this forum :D

Whose name is actually Marcel Bloch, designer of Bloch aircraft in WW2 but changed his name when he left France to prevent being captured by the Germans. (I think thats the story anywho.)

Marcel Dassault - great designer and marketeer. Jack Northrop, another great designer. You also have Edward Henry Heinemann who designed may outstanding Douglas aircraft. But Kelly Johnson was prolific, consistent and innovative. P-38, F-104, U-2 and SR-71 were all record breakers. I think what separates him from the rest was his approach not only in concept and design, but the follow through to manufacturing and his interface with the people building his designs....

FLYBOYJ said:
KELLY JOHNSON - SR-71 - NEED I SAY MORE!!!!!
But Kelly Johnson was prolific, consistent and innovative. P-38, F-104, U-2 and SR-71 were all record breakers. I think what separates him from the rest was his approach not only in concept and design, but the follow through to manufacturing and his interface with the people building his designs....

Couldn't have put it better myself FBJ :thumbright:

For piston aircraft, Ed Heineman deserves to be mentioned. The A1 and A26 were some great aircraft. He also designed the A4 Skyhawk and its just as much a legend as the SR71.

syscom3 said:
A4 Skyhawk and its just as much a legend as the SR71.

Are we getting carried away now?!? - the A-4s a great plane and distinguished combat record - but far from being a legend in the same class as the SR-71!! And if you look at design, systems innovation, complexities of systems, and the impact both aircraft made on aviation history, it's like comparing a Corvette to a Civic :rolleyes:

The A4 fought in plenty of wars, was in production for a quarter of a century and was used by the top gun pilots to teach a lesson or two to pilots flying modern aircraft.

Thats a nice achievement.

The SR71 did what it was designed to do (very well I might add) but it couldnt do the things the A4 could do. I can imagine an Israeli general telling his pilots "heres the SR71 pictures of the Egyptian tank formations, now use you skyhawks to stop them"

syscom3 said:
The A4 fought in plenty of wars, was in production for a quarter of a century and was used by the top gun pilots to teach a lesson or two to pilots flying modern aircraft.

Thats a nice achievement.

The SR71 did what it was designed to do (very well I might add) but it couldnt do the things the A4 could do. I can imagine an Israeli general telling his pilots "heres the SR71 pictures of the Egyptian tank formations, now use you skyhawks to stop them"

Good point!

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
My vote goes either for Northrop and Kelly Johnson for fixed wing and Bell Textron (not sure who the chief designer was) and Sikorsky for rotary wing.

Arthur Young - he designed what would become the Bell 47

Sikorski is an interesting choice. A good one, I might add.

But didnt he already invent the helicopter back in WW2? I seem to remember seeing pix of one in Burma in 1945. Also a famous one of him on the steps of Capitol Hill in 1943.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back