"Favorite" Spitfire Mark

What is your 'favorite' mark of Spitfire?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

claidemore

Senior Airman
Jan 4, 2008
British Columbia, Canada
I thought we should have a more 'complete' poll with all the most important marks of Supermarine Spitfire. Rather than ask which is the best, it seems to make more sense to vote for our favourites (multiple choice) for whatever reasons, paint job, engine, guns, speed, range etc.

I'll omit the Seafires to shorten the list a bit.

Did a quick look throught the existing polls, didn't see one exactly like this, but I mighta missed it. If it is a redo of an existing poll, I apologize in advance. But really, can we have too many polls about Spitfires? :D

Claidemore

Attachments

• spitfire1a.jpg
    spitfire1a.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 278
Hello
I voted for Mk I because of its contributions during the BoB
for VIII and XIV because IMHO they were the best WWII Spits
Mk XII because of its looks and because it was an excellent low level fighter
Mk XVIII was also excellent fighter even early post war period
and PR XIX was IMHO the best PR Spit

Juha

I voted Mk IX because it is the 'definative' Spitfire, equal to all its opponents, loved by it's pilots, and a 'temporary expediant' that became the backbone of Fighter Command. I chose the PR XI because of its range, ceiling and paint job, PR Blue and invasion stripes are eye candy as far as I'm concerned. Finally I voted for the MkXIV, for it's unsurpassed climb rate, excellent maneuverability, high ceiling, and good performance at all altitudes.

I went for the PRXI simply because it was the best single engined PR plane of the war with no exceptions in any country.
Indeed with the exceptions of the Mossie and Ki46 probably the best PR of the war.

Well the MkVIII is my favourite simply because of its good looks (especially with a sharks mouth :headbang: ) however I'm also partial to the Vc with the Volkes filter, which most normal people seem to think looks ugly.

Attachments

• 457sqnRAAf1.jpg
    457sqnRAAf1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 354
Mark I, It's the first one of the breed, the "mother of all Spitfires". A very modern a/c when it was designed, but still firm roots in the thirties with fabric covered ailerons and gun calibre MG's

Just found this board today, I'm really liking it so far. I went with the XIV. That big Griffon and 5-bladed prop out front with the bulges over the valve covers to get it to fit and the classic Spit lines make it my favorite by far.

Hi,

I like the look of the earlier Spitfires, so the MK V Spitfire is my favorite because it looks like the earlier marks but has the more powerful engine and was (for a time) the best in the sky.
(But after seeing the photo of 'Grey Nurse' from Wildcat I might have to change my mind!):thumbup:

cheers,

-John

Love the Spitfire Mk IX. Could beat the FW-190,had 20mm cannon.and still looked good. Still prefer the P-51D as my all time favorite,but nothig in the sky looked as beautiful as the Spitfire. New to this site and find it very interesting.I'm a avid Combat Flight Simmer....CFS3,MAW,CFS3 Korea,OFF,CFS3 PTO,IL2 1946,are my favorite flight simms.Cheers,Scott

I can't decide on just one, I love different Spits for different reasons.

The 'classic' for me though would have to be the Mk.Ia (that, the P-51D and Bf109E are the reasons I got into warbirds in the first place), but I love the Mk.Vb (with and without trop. filters), VIIIc, IXb/e, FR and LF.XIVe, and PR.IV aswell.

A Spitfire is pretty much a beautiful aircraft no matter what mark it is...with the exception of the long HF wing-tipped versions, somehow spoils the lines...

I went with the XIV. That big Griffon and 5-bladed prop out front with the bulges over the valve covers to get it to fit and the classic Spit lines make it my favorite by far.

I hear you I could not say it better ...But one point you messed the sound of the Griffon is killer ...

And the Mk1 do to BoB and what it started and turned in too...

Prettiest fighter ever built in my opinion. I like the Mk XIV as the best version to reach combat as an all around dogfighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back