Favourite Biplane of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Henschel Hs 123

Pasted from Wikipedia:
The greatest tribute to the Hs 123 usefulness came in January 1943 when Generaloberst Wolfram von Richthofen, then commander-in-chief of Luftflotte 4, asked whether production of the Hs 123 could be restarted because the Hs 123 performed well in a theater where mud, snow, rain and ice took a heavy toll on the serviceability of more advanced aircraft.

I like the Gladiator and the I-153P but personally the C-43 takes the cake for me, it looked like the biplane of the future, if you painted it like a modern plane then you wouldn't pin it as a 30's
era plane.

All you american patriots out there who endorse the Fairey Swordfish (an a/c of which I am also fond), just remember if it wasn't for the SF, the progeny of Douglas MacArthur might be reigning as succesive emperors of the Phillipines today in addition to owning a major share of San Miguel Brewery. :rolleyes:

Lest I forget: Mitusubishi F1M Pete

Attachments

• C__pia de eaa _120_10 0_8_.jpeg
    C__pia de eaa _120_10 0_8_.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
What about the Stearman? Over 8000 WWII Naval aviators got their start in it. It should at least get an honorable mention for its contribution. ;)

I'm biased, but I like the Canadian Gregor biplane fighter. Gregor worked for Grumman on the F2F/F3F, and there's a family resemblance. Mr. Gregor was quoted to the effect that the war started with monoplanes, but it would end with biplanes. Ooops!

I have to go wtih the Swordfish, IMO it was the biplane that impacted the war the most.

With all respect to the sinking of the Bismarck and other successful attacks, I dare say the Stearman may have had a larger total impact on the war, but just my opinion.

As far as looks, for me I gotta go with:

1. Henschel Hs 123
2. Beech Staggerwing
3. Hawker Hind

With all respect to the sinking of the Bismarck and other successful attacks, I dare say the Stearman may have had a larger total impact on the war, but just my opinion.

The attacks on the Axis navies and the defence of the convoys of which the Swordfish played a critical role, was central and critical to every other allied action. Without victory at sea, and particularly in the waters around Europe, there could be no other activity by the allies. how can that not be the most important job for the allies. And whilst there were a plethora of aircraft that could do the job of the Stearman, ther were no othersa that could do the job of the Swordfish in 1939-41....

I think the F1M Pete Japanese recon seaplane is cool. It was used extensively throughout WWII.

The attacks on the Axis navies and the defence of the convoys of which the Swordfish played a critical role, was central and critical to every other allied action. Without victory at sea, and particularly in the waters around Europe, there could be no other activity by the allies. how can that not be the most important job for the allies. And whilst there were a plethora of aircraft that could do the job of the Stearman, ther were no othersa that could do the job of the Swordfish in 1939-41....

The impact that the Swordfish had on the battlefield is certainly critical but the Stearman's vital role in the war was training future pilots to fly...not many pilots made it to the front without having stick time in one of 'em.

Attention! Cool diagram ahead if we could catch our breath a minute...

This is a diagram of the "runway mats" at NAS Dallas, 1943. The N2S is the first aircraft logged in the Naval Aviators Flight Log Book. Yes, they actually took off and landed on these strange-looking things, rather than on typical runways. Toward the end their four-month training, they took night-flying, too. No, these didn't have lights, but one couldn't miss the yellow-blue flames coming out of the exhausts. All total, about 100 hours in these, then off to the sunny shores of Florida, and the SNV Valiants and SNJ Texans to complete their training and hopefully get their wings.

OK, cadets, hope you like it. As you were. :)

Attachments

• NAS Dallas_1943 (landing mats).jpg
    NAS Dallas_1943 (landing mats).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
The impact that the Swordfish had on the battlefield is certainly critical but the Stearman's vital role in the war was training future pilots to fly...not many pilots made it to the front without having stick time in one of 'em.

Not many American pilots...

The same can be said for the Tigermoth for Commonwealth countries.

It'd have to be the Tiger for me - it was the aircraft that started future Spitfire pilots on their way. (Not that I'm biased or anything :p)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back