Favourite Biplane of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ascent

Senior Airman
Apr 7, 2012
Bomber country, England
As the title says really, what biplanes do you like and why?

Being a Brit I have a soft spot for the Gladiator. I know it's been romantacized with 'Faith, Hope and Charity' and all that and wasn't really all that succesful but I still like it.

I think the CR32 was a lovely looking thing as well, something about that under chin radiator, and for some reason the I-153 with it's uper gull wing just appeals to me.

Come to think of it the Stringbag is a lovely thing as well even if not the best looking of things.

Mmm..... Is there a biplane I don't like?

As others have said, the Swordfish was the biplane that impacted the war the most, but for looks, I have to go with the Beech C-43 as my favorite. Even in Olive Drab, it's beautiful.

Beech%20UC-43%20Traveler,%20Staggerwing,%20060519-F-1234P-007.jpg

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Henschel Hs 123.

The Beech staggerwing is a lovely aircraft.

I've always been impressed by the Mitsubishi F1M "Pete"
The Japanese built over 1100 of these versatile and aerodynamically clean floatplanes and used them in a huge variety of roles throughout the Pacific.
Mitsubishi F1M PETE - reconnaissance float-plane
There are numerous end of war photos of Petes pulled up, often shot up and abandoned on Pacific beaches,
I wish some of these attractive and efficient planes had been saved, there haven't been many 200mph plus float biplanes.

Oh where to start with this one? Gladiator, Swordfish, CR-42, Hs123, Fury, Audax, Hart, Shark and last, but by no means least, Vildebeest. Love 'em all, I'm afraid. And that's before we consider the Tiger Moth, Staggerwing, PT-17 etc.

If I had to make a top 3 it would be:

1. Stringbag
2. PT-17
3. Hs 123

Stringbag for the reasons I stated in my other post. I also really like the Stearman. A very elegant aircraft. I would love to own one.

I lobbed the Vildebeest in there simply because of the Endau Raid - real "Charge of the Light Brigade" stuff. If you've never heard of this event, read about it in "Bloody Shambles Vol 2" - incredible bravery by the crews!

Fairey Swordfish here, too. In a kind of perverse way, I also like the Supermarine Walrus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back