Fiat Cr 42 Night Fighter - Silver Wings kit in 1:32

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi,
one of the first mild days for this year, gave me the opportunity to stay on the balcony and do some painting.
For the so called "black colour" I followed the suggestion of an other modeller and prepared a 50:25:25 mix of Tmiya acrilic X-1 Gloss black; XF-8 Flat Blue and XF-63 German Grey, this is the result

DSCN0187 res3.jpg

DSCN0188.JPG

DSCN0190.JPG

DSCN0191.JPG
DSCN0193.JPG

As you may have noticed, I pre-painted with white colour the cross on the rudder and fuselage band plus those areas where decals are going to be.
This will allow me to use my home made decals.
Now I should think on how to post-shade those dark surfaces in order to bring some life into them.

I also did the propeller and spinner plus two modified exhaust stacks.

DSCN0194.JPG

Cheers
Alberto

Looks great but the pics are all around 1Mb in size - totally unnecessary.

Hi,
many thanks for your comment.:):)

About images size they have been already resized, as they they come out from my camera at about 3 MB, but I agree next time I should resize them a bit more.
Alberto

Alberto, if you re-size the pics to no larger than 800 x 600 pxl, they'll load fine and be easy to view. The size at the moment means they are loading slowly, and viewers have to wait until each pic scrolls down the screen, slowing down the forum system at the same time.

It's not necessarily the size in pixels Terry, it's more the dots per inch of resolution that they are save at. For example, I save my pics as jpegs at 800x600 size with a 200 dpi resolution and they come out to less than 100kB. Similar sized pics saved at a much higher resolution will increase the file size substantially.

Ah, I understand. Must admit I haven't looked at the settings on mine when I download from the camera, but when i re-size using Irfanview, it seems to be taken care of. The original image size is around 1400 x 1100 pxl, or a bit larger, at the 'fine' setting of 300 dpi.

Hello everybody!
I also did some progress on the "Falco"

Here the pictures:

DSCN0205.JPG

DSCN0207.JPG
DSCN0208.JPG
DSCN0212.JPG
DSCN0213.JPG

This is the first "black" bird in my modeller life and I tried an unusual approach to to create colour variation.
I simply rubbed the dark colour, for instance in correspondence of wing ribs, to bring out some of the white primer.
May be is a bit unorthodox but I like it.
I also did some work on panels, using dark grey colour.
After the clear coat that will follow soon and after decals, I will do a bit more of weathering.
All the best
Alberto

Hi fellows,
some more progress on this night bird:

Added the two M.G. on the cowling and most of decals.

DSCN0229.JPG

DSCN0228.JPG
DSCN0230.JPG
DSCN0232.JPG
DSCN0233.JPG
DSCN0234.JPG

The squadron badge and call number are home made; still missing two on the fin, because I had to repaint it, and the small badges on propeller blades, will follow soon.

Apparently there were no Fasces on the upper wing instead, on the lower wings, I found that Fasces were white on a black background. I had two on my spare-box, so I tried them: they looked just awful! :(:(:( and, in my opinion, almost impossible to improve with weathering.
Therefore I took them off and, using masks I had from a previous project, I sprayed new Fasces using a very light grey colour.

DSCN0235.JPG
DSCN0236.JPG

Probably they are a little smaller then they should be, but they could also be correct ....
In any case they look much better. :):):)

Additionally I added scratch-built prolonged exhausts and searching lights.

DSCN0237.JPG
DSCN0239.JPG
DSCN0240.JPG

Search lights are dry fitted only because they must be completed with electric cables and a small disk of transparent plastic to simulate the lens.

Finally I scratch-built also the wind generator that was mounted on the upper wing and gave electricity to the search lights.

DSCN0241.JPG
DSCN0242.JPG

This one only dry fitted as well, because it needs a better painting and an electric cable.

So there will be more pictures to come.
Alberto

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back