Fighter Group: The 352nd "Blue-Nosed Bastards" in World War II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My copy arrived yesterday, and im very happy with it, and for the price I'm very pleased :) I've paid much more for much less.

Im a couple of chapters in and its starting to get into the combat after a very nice set up which places you nicely into the unit having introduced the pilots and the creation of the group.

I dont have many books on US units (more of a Luftwaffe reader) but think this is a very nice "middle man" book placed between the often shallow Osprey books and the full blown Eagle Edition style.

If you like WWII aviation, then get this book

As I researched it, I found it interesting how long it took for the group to find its stride. They spent several months being in the wrong place at the wrong time (in part by design as the leadership wanted them to start out with baby steps). I could sense the pilots' frustration at not being able to make contact with the enemy. And their early mission summary reports made big deals out of the smallest details...just so there was something to write about. These were details and encounters that wouldn't merit the slightest mention later once they started to get heavily engaged.

Thanks for the nice words.

Regards,
Jay

Thanks Viking. I'm pretty proud of this one. Sadly, it'll probably be the last I'm able to do working cooperatively with the vets. They're passing quickly and many of those that are left are, understandably, tired. There are a few exceptions. Bob "Punchy" Powell has still got it all together--and a lot of energy. Don McKibben as well. Visited him in Maine last month and he wore me out. Unfortunately, Don Bryan, who was credited with 13.3 aerial victories and was quite helpful with the book, passed away after the manuscript was submitted but before it was published. He never got to see it and I'm sorry for that.

Regards,
Jay

It's a real shame when that happens. I had a similar experience with a painting, when one of the pilots concerned passed away just days before the date of the 50th anniversary of the scene depicted, when celebrations were being held in Denmark.
Just been informed my copy should arrive around the 27th - can't wait!
BTW Jay, have you seen Gary and Tony's 'photo tour' of 8th AF airfields in the UK, posted here on the forum? Bodney is included.

After reading your post I searched the forum, but evidently did a poor job. Found some postings of thumbnails, but the only Bodney one was a photo of Preddy's aircraft with some mechs.

Denmark and a 50th aviation anniversary? What was it?

Sorry Jay, I should have been more specific. The 'airfield tour' can be found in the 'Warbirds Display' section, under the heading 'Geedee and Rocketeer's 8th AF tail Wheel Tour'.
The Denmark thing was the 50th anniversary, in 1995, of 'Operation Carthage', the low-level attack, by Mosquitos, on the Gestapo HQ based in Shell House, Copenhagen. There's a thread on it somewhere on the forum, I think under the 'Shell House' banner, rather than 'Carthage'.

Dang. Still didn't find it. Went through all the pages. You sure they visited Bodney?

By the way, that's a really cool concept. Loved the photos and commentary. I look at the old buildings and my mind does that movie making trick where the old buildings gradually transition to new, people fade in, the hub-bub of men at work and airplane noises rises out of the quiet and then...the story begins!

Hmm.Perhaps I misread - I believe Halesworth was visited, and Bodney mentioned, maybe as one yet to come.
Received my copy of your book today, and looking forward to settling down later tonight to start to read it - I have a feeling i might still be reading when dawn breaks .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back