Figure I'd break this in... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This will be where I'll ask any questions I may have in regards to painting my USS Franklin by Trumpeter.

First off, what colour were the hangar decks of US Carriers? The Trumpeter instructions have NO colouring instructions for the inside of the carrier, the only ones that are there are for the planes, the deck and the side camo. I don't know if it's light gray, or if the hangar deck was wood or what (I doubt it was wood though).

Speaking of planes, does anyone have any profiles of Franklin Avengers or Helldivers? Wings Palette didn't really have much in the way of Franklin aircraft. The instructions show both the Avengers and Helldivers in the tri-colour scheme, and I know both kept it until late in the war, but you'd think at least some of the Helldivers would be GSB. The only scheme I'm sure about is the one for the Corsair, as they were -1Ds, and all -1Ds were GSB, and I have a couple pictures from my Black Sheep book.

Thanks guys!

Thanks a bunch Wayne, after some searching I found some pictures and the floor appears to be dark grey. I'll have to register there an see what else they may be able to help with! Thanks again!

Yes, he told me that the painting scheme on the model was completely wrong, and instead should be Navy Blue, because of the way the kit was outfitted. Earlier scheme for a later ship. And the deck colour was simple enough: deck gray! Hopefully I can go buy paints today.

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I lost the page to where I had posted my questions on that model ship site, so I found this again. I'm going to start up on my Franklin once I'm done my Panther (which won't take me long), so I went looking again on that ship builder's forum. It appears they deleted my topic for some reason, which actually ticks me off, as I don't see why they would delete it so now I can no longer find it, thankfully I remember most of it. I just want to keep this up here so I know where it is.

My son's Cub Scout troop in September will be spending the weekend aboard the USS Yorktown (CV-10) which I get to help chaperone so if there are any specific photos you need of an Essex carrier, please let me know. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back