Finally was able to scan my wife's Grandfathers picture

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Torch

Senior Master Sergeant
Feb 9, 2006
Florida
, can you give me any detail on rank etc. He was in the SS.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 156
The pictures on the left is a Luftwaffe Uniform, not an SS Uniform. Based off of his shoulder boards and collar insignia he holds the rank of Flieger which is equilivant to the rank of Private in the US Army. The badge on the sleeve is to difficult for me to make out. I can not see what it is.

The Pic in the middle also is a Luftwaffe uniform.

The one on the far right is an SS uniform. He holds the rank of a Schuetze which also is equivilant to the rank of Private in the US Army. The badge on his breast pocket, (odd being on an SS Uniform) is a SA Military Sports Badge.

a couple strange things are going on his great coat in the first image looks to have the early DLV Luftwaffe arm eagle but it is not the right shape. his buckle and belt are SS not Luftwaffe. his collar insignia if showing the winged pip in white is positioned incorrectly on his Tunic under his great coat, dark back ground to the collar patch as well so he is not a Flieger in the purest sense

still searching ......

here ya go then ...........

found it. His rank is Feuerwehrmann, of the air base fire-department. the arm eagle is machine-embroidered white on a round 55mm black backing.

E ~ cool huh 8)

a couple strange things are going on his great coat in the first image looks to have the early DLV Luftwaffe arm eagle but it is not the right shape. his buckle and belt are SS not Luftwaffe.

still searching ......

I was thinking about the same things. I know the belt buckle was SS, and I was trying to figure out why he would be wearing an SS belt with a Luftwaffe uniform.

It the same thing with the SA Military Sports Badge on an SS Uniform...

I appreciate all the info, It has my wife's and I interest up. Supposedly he was stationed in Holland for awhile. I agree about the Luftwaffe in the first and second but why he's in an SS uniform in the last I don't know. Transferred? Or in the process of being transfered to the SS?

I appreciate all the info, It has my wife's and I interest up. Supposedly he was stationed in Holland for awhile. I agree about the Luftwaffe in the first and second but why he's in an SS uniform in the last I don't know. Transferred? Or in the process of being transfered to the SS?

It does not explain why he has an SS belt with a Luftwaffe uniform.

Is it me, or has the collar emblems been edited (censored?) in the third (right) image?

No, not to me. Why do you think so.

Lowest rank SS soldiers had only black collars. What I am wondering is why he has a SA sports badge on the SS uniform.

At first look at the collar blank patch with only a border showing, it seemed to me to have been blacked out, as I was expecting the totenkopf or runes to be there. Perhaps the age of the photo and the lighting of the collar at the time the photo was taken, gave me that first impression.

I'll admit that I'm not well versed in SS insignia hierarchy. :)

At first look at the collar blank patch with only a border showing, it seemed to me to have been blacked out, as I was expecting the totenkopf or runes to be there. Perhaps the age of the photo and the lighting of the collar at the time the photo was taken, gave me that first impression.

I'll admit that I'm not well versed in SS insignia hierarchy. :)

Not all SS units had the runes and totenkopf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back