**** FINISHED: GB-48 1/72 Sea Hurricane II - Carrier & Martime Patrol AC of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fastmongrel

1st Sergeant
May 28, 2009
Lancashire
Username: fastmongrel
First name: Stu
Category: intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Airfix (about 75% is airfix)
Extras: Parts from my spares box some from an Arma kit and some from an AZ kit plus Wheels and Exhausts from a Brengun Spitfire V and propeller from a Zvezda Petlyakov Pe-2
Decals: A mix of Airfix and Xtradecal
Model Type: A what if Sea Hurricane IIc with folding wings

I built this model because I have always been intrugued about a folding wing Sea Hurricane. I came up with the wing fold design in my head inspired by a Blackburn Skua and a Grumman Hellcat wing folds. The backstory is that Blackburn who had plenty of experience building Naval aircraft were handed aircraft off the Hawkers production line and they fitted their own design and production folding wings using the original wing fastening position as the attachment point. Gust lock fitting sockets were fitted on the tailplanes and wingtips. An arrestor hook, naval radios and other naval equipment was fitted. All the new Sea Hurricanes were sent to HMS Ringtail for pilot conversion (in reality this base was used for Firefly and Barracuda pilot conversion)

The plane is from No 835 Squadron FAA painted as it would have been in 1943 when based at HMS Ringtail Royal Naval Air Station Burscough West Lancashire England. An airbase situated 10 miles from my home that is now an industrial estate and retail park. The Squadron went to sea in late 1943 on board HMS Nairna.

None of the parts for this build were bought for the project they all came from my spares box. Most of the decals came from the Airfix sheet with fuselage roundels and some small decals from an Xtradecal sheet as the Airfix ones had already been used for another project.
P1000956.JPG

P1000950.JPG
P1000951.JPG
P1000952.JPG
P1000953.JPG
P1000954.JPG
P1000945.JPG
P1000947.JPG

P1000948.JPG

Last edited:
Really nice work, and very convincing.
Interesting reading about Burscough. I was a member of a freefall display team, "The Barracudas", in the 1980's and early 90's, which formed at Burscough before it closed as a parachute center. Two teams formed at the same time, taking their names from the aircraft type, and a toss of a coin decided which one became "The Barracudas", and which became "The Fireflies". Happy days, when I was still fit and healthy !

Theres a Booths supermarket at the entrance to the base shaped like an aircraft hangar and in the cafe there is a series of photos of the base and I am sure theres a photo of some parachutists.

I'll have to get over there and have a look then - last time i drove past, the site was just starting to be built on, probably around 1989 or 1990 I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back