finished! p-51d and Spitfire Mk.XIV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

aqua_ta

Airman 1st Class
Aug 9, 2008
Southampton,England
Here's my Airfix new mold 1/72 P-51d and Academy's 1/72 Spitfire mk.XIV.
The Airfix kit has great detail and even does some details better than all the others,i.e the little wood wheel on the landing light and the correct wheel bay..shock horror!
The Academy kit may have its faults but it is shape wise nearly spot on with the SAMs Spitfire book so I just built it OOB.
DSCF3087.JPG
DSCF3088.JPG
DSCF3089.JPG
DSCF3091.JPG
DSCF3094.JPG
DSCF3095.JPG
DSCF3098.JPG
DSCF3100.JPG
DSCF3104.JPG

Nicely done, they've turned out well. It might be the angle and lighting of the photos, or the lens type, but the Spit, although it looks great, appears to have similar faults to their 1/48th scale example, in the rear fuselage, giving it a 'stumpy' look. Also, are the undercarriage doors on the right way around? They look a bit odd in the photo - not your fault.

Thanks Airframes,actually the back of the Spit is very,very slightly humped, it's just that although it is very small it is still noticeable. The gear doors are correct as I took them off thinking they were wrong but the other way round was definately incorrect.

Not being picky really - the models are well done - I was commenting on the accuracy, or otherwise, of the Academy kit, which appears to have the same faults as their 1/48th scale version, making it look very wrong for the look of the MkXIV.

I agree with all here. Well done. :thumbright:

Also I must agree with Terry on his assessment for the shape of the rear part of the Spit fuselage. Unfortunately it is incorrect like many other details. The list is long taking the kit scale into consideration....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back