Finished Revell 1/48 Mosquito (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tukan

Recruit
Nov 10, 2012
Just finished my first aircraft model! Really enjoyed this! Not a perfect build but makes me want to do another.

Attachments

• Mossie_finished1.jpg
    Mossie_finished1.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 197
  • Mossie_finished2.jpg
    Mossie_finished2.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 194
  • Mossie4.jpg
    Mossie4.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 203
  • Mossie5.jpg
    Mossie5.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 191
Looking very nice. A good job.

But still getting an impression that the kit and a few recent ones have incorrect dihedral of the wing. It looks like a powerless man standing with shoulders down because of an hopeless struggle against the kit manufacturers.

The Mosquito had only 1.5 degrees of positive dihedral, virtually undetectable.

Nice job on your first model and welcome to the forum. If you're open to tips, I'd suggest giving the whole model a gloss coat before adding the decals. Once the decals are on, you can give it a flat or matte coat depending on the look you want. This will prevent the silvering you see around the edges of your decals.

Thanks fellow Canuck...yes I learned after that silvering is a problem with matt finished models :0...thoughts on the weathering? First time I have tried to age a model.

The Mosquito had only 1.5 degrees of positive dihedral, virtually undetectable.

Nice job on your first model and welcome to the forum. If you're open to tips, I'd suggest giving the whole model a gloss coat before adding the decals. Once the decals are on, you can give it a flat or matte coat depending on the look you want. This will prevent the silvering you see around the edges of your decals.

Looks not too bad but, personally, I think it's a bit out of place on a Mossie as most pics I've seen show these to be relatively clean.

Thanks for the feedback. I kind of tried to emulate what I could see from photos of early Mosquitoes.

Mossie_finished2_BW.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
In model form (or in paintings) the Mosquito could possibly be the most difficult type to 'weather' convincingly. As Andy mentioned, they tended to be relatively clean, in terms of general wear and tear, but the surface itself was generally fairly grubby after only a short period of operations, more so on the Fighter Bomber versions.
The fuselage in particular, being fabric covered, very often showed dirt, grime, hand prints and so on, which were quite prominent, close up, mainly on the medium Sea Grey finish. However, this is very difficult to replicate easily on a model, with each scale, from 1/72nd scale up, having its own problems of replication.
The main problem is the general shape,and 'clean' look of the aircraft, with very little in the way of 'traditional' panel lines, joints etc, these being restricted to the couple of equipment hatches, the entry hatch, and the engine cowlings. At a distance, all this looked clean and tidy, but close up, the grime could be seen.
If it's any consolation to modellers, when the late Air Commodore Ted Sismore (most highly decorated RAF Navigator and Mossie veteran) first saw my painting of his Mosquito on the Shell House raid, his first comments were something like "You've captured the shape well, excellent. But it's far too clean"!
That was back in 1995, and ever since, I've played around with painting techniques, ready for when my 1/32nd scale FBVI eventually gets to the painting stage!

Yes, you're right Andy. Basically, the whole airframe, with a few small exceptions, was fabric covered over the wood skin. I must scan the slides I took of the (now lost) TIII at BAe Chester, when it was in deep service, and ready for recovering in parts. I was shown the fabric being removed from some parts, ready for clean-up and recovering - fascinating stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back