Finished Tamiya 1/48 Nakajima KI-84 Hayate (Frank)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
From the other end of the workbench comes this KI-84. Built over some time as I was waiting for GB23 stuff to set or dry, this was a fun model to build. It is simple and comprises of not too many parts. The cockpit is very sparsely equipped but if you include the pilot which I did not much of the interior can be seen anyhow.

The decal sheet was varied giving a choice of 4 different aircraft. I chose an aircraft of the 58th Shimbu of the Special Attack Corps. This unit was based at Miyakonojo airfield in Miyazaki Prefecture on the island of Okinawa.

Weathering and highlighting was done post painting with pastels which I grind up and then apply with a variety of different brushes.

For the money I like the way she finishes and I feel it was pretty good value for my dollar.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

Comments and criticisms are of course welcome.

Cheers,

Jeff

I like it Jeff. The only thing I might suggest is to try a different colour for the exhausts. A lot of manufacturers tell you to paint these a "rust" colour but, in my opinion, that's not a proper choice for an aircraft in active use. I had been doing the same on older builds but have since started painting these in a variety of shades do account for the fact that these things got very hot and discoloured the base material. I start with a steel colour and dry brush various shades of black, brown and even white.

14012701.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back