First airbrush is incoming...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wedge

Airman
Jan 8, 2010
... but which paints?

Hi all,

I have been lurking around the site and absolutely love it. I am stepping back into modelling after a long hiatus (20 years or so) and my patient wife has just ordered a Sparmax DH-103 and Sparmax ac 1000hp to go with it. Can anyone point me in the right direction for some tips on which paints (acrylic preferably) to go for, where best to order them online (the joys of living in rural Australia) and any good 'how to' type guides?

Much appreciated,

Wedge

Last edited:
sign0016.gif

G'day Wedge, first of all welcome to the forum glad to have you on board.

As a fellow countryman, I know the dilemma of getting specific models, kit enhancements and paints. Most of my shopping is done on line which unfortunately carries additional costs for postage, but if you list up your requirements and keep an eye on the $, some overseas purchases can be a good deal. As for paints, I currently converting, all be it slowly from Humbrol enamels to Vallejo which has a very wide range of colours that are great with airbrushing. Its worth visiting their sight to see what they produce.

Acrylicos Vallejo

You have not indicated which part of our rural country you are in, but as far as suppliers of these paints, I go to Gosford Hobbies. They have proved to be reliable and friendly suppliers.

Paints :: Gosford Hobbies

Hope this is of help to you.

happy0120.gif
happy0120.gif

Thanks Vic,

I am in Far North Queensland. So far I have visited Phoenix hobbies in Cairns and they have been good to deal with. I think they primarily stock Model Master for airbrushing... I think...

I've only ever used their enamel brushing and airbrush paints, and have found them very good particularly the ready made camio matching paints, I also use the metallic enamel paints a great deal they have some very subtle shades for engine exhaust or other metalwork.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Sorry but what is to master about acrylic paint?I dont get it, Used enamels for years, and later to acrylic ,had no trouble the first time using acrylic paint.

piet

I use Vallejo and have never had any problems with them. Easy enough to use, as you don't have to mix them, straight from the bottle and to airbrush and paint away! :lol:

Welcome to the family as well....

Welcome to the club mate - another bl**dy digger!! I use enamels, and have done for nigh on 50 years now (!!). I reckon I'll have to change to acrylics eventually, if Bumbrol - sorry, Humbrol, keep getting worse, an if I do, it'll more than likely be Vallejo. They have two ranges (for modelling anyway), one, as Lucky said, ready to use, and another. designed for brush painting, which can be used thinned about 50/50 with water for airbrushing. The latter seems to me the better deal as, in theory, tou get twice as much for the same proce, and it can be brushed too!
There isn't a problem with acrylics, although they do tend to slightly clog the nozzle quicker than enamels, which is to be expected due to their make-up. Personally, I think acrylics haven't got the versatility of enamels, or any other oil-based medium, especially if brush-painting. But then, I only have a couple of years eperience with them, and haven't really tried to develop the techniques built up over the years using enamels, but even with the experience, in still feel there isn't as much latitude.

Thanks loads everyone, this is a really helpful discussion.

I guess the major issues I have found with using enamels on the brush are the dry times and the cleanup. That said, I like the effects that enamels have and I have already worked out that I should be trying to paint single colours in one sitting, rather than following the instruction manual and painting individual pieces in the order they come up during the build. Simple stuff to you guys, maybe, but as I said, it has been a long time between modelling 'drinks'.

My 1/32 P-47 is being done using a brush for the smaller parts, using both enamels and acrylics and then a spray tin for the fuselage. I have brushed the cowl yellow using enamel and the difference is night and day. I am sure that the fact that the cowl is yellow led to some impatience on my part, but the amount of detail lost was overwhelming, enough to make me do a search for stripping methods (oven cleaner?) and look at purchasing a spray tin of yellow to do it 'properly'.

My son has purchased an 1/32 Airacobra as a gift for my upcoming birthday, so I would love to make him proud (being 5, it may not take too much) by making it look its best! My wife has kept the theme rolling with this airbrush/compressor combo so life should be great in the modelling department, as long as I can work the bloody thing! :confused:

Are drying times cut by airbrushing with enamels? What would a good airbrushing pack look like in terms of thinners, cleaners etc? My 'local' hobby store is about 150 km away, so there is no ducking down to the shop for me to get something I have forgotten so basically, I need a shopping list... 8)

Last edited:
Well the airbrush has landed and I have already had a play, which resulted in a cowling that I am considering stripping (again) and a spilled tin of Humbrol yellow enamel. All learning experiences though so I'm :D despite the hiccups.

Pretty impressed with the unit thus far. I am worried about the moisture trap though as I have no idea how to clean it or let it dry out. I have the Sparmax AC1000 HP and it came with no instruction manuals etc.

Also, many of you are suggesting enamels, but after yesterday's issues, I need to ask, "Why enamels over Acrylics?"

Like I said, I am fairly new to this again... :oops:

Last edited:
Absolutely nothing wrong with acrylics, and many modellers today know nothing else. For my part, having used enamels for so long, and long, long before acrylics were even in prototype form, I guess it's more a case of 'the devil you know'. Having said that, and I know people might disagree, I find that acrylics do not have the versatility of enamels, when it comes to working with a paint brush (as opposed to an airbrush), and when subtle blending techniques are required. I'll admit, part of this is due to my not really trying to experiment to see if it is possible to achieve similar brushed effects, but, although some effects probably are possible, I doubt that all techniques (employed with enamels) and results will be possible, due mainly to the make up of the acrylic pigments and carriers.
I do agree that acrylics used in an airbrush are very good indeed, although they often require a primer, and are not quite as hard wearing in the early stages of handling. As for easier clean-up with acrylics, in general this is true. But, the nozzle will clog easier, and a 'quick' clean will lead to further build-up of the medium, which tends to 'plastisize' when dried on the needle, jet and nozzle.
However, with the change (for the worse) in Humbrol paints, and the possible future restriction, or outright banning of enamels, I think i will have to change to acrylic paints, more than likely Vallejo.

For my part, having used enamels for so long, and long, long before acrylics were even in prototype form, I guess it's more a case of 'the devil you know'.

That quote in itself is almost reason for me to go with acrylics. If I teach myself with acrylics now, I'll have less trouble in the future... Still concerned about 'local' stock, but I'll just have to get organised and ensure that I have all I need when I hit the order button. Not too different to what I am doing now I guess. I have a bunch of old 'Citadel' (Warhammer)that have been donated. Some of them are a little thick, but no separation. Will these work with some thinning? Treat them the same as Vallejo?

Back to the moisture trap query as well, is there a method to cleaning it, or should I just leave it alone?

I know what you mean about local availability! If I could obtain vallejo at my local Model Shop, there's a good chance I would have changed to acrylics by now. Unfortunately, the only acrylics they stock are the very small Tamiya colours, requiring their own thinners, which work out rather expensive in such small quantities. (and Isopropyl alchohol, the thinner, isn't available here).
I've only used a couple of Citadel paints, some time ago, and i seem to mrecal i used water to thin.
Regarding the moisture trap, unless it's absoulutely full, which it shouldn't be, I'd leave it. Meanwhile, try to find an address for a supplier or agent, and obtain a manual, service manual or spares list, which should (hopefully) at least show the sequence of assembly etc. I've only used water traps on large, industrial compressors, and they didn't need much attention, and when they did, there was a filter bowl which simply unscrewed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back