Fixing the Fighter Gap

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree with Parsifal, this has been a great thread read especially since I know nothing about these aircraft except "Oh that one looks nice!" But I want to throw this in: In the early 80s I remeber watching a report on the technological advances between Us aircraft and Soviet. There was a conclusion that although Soviet aircraft were behind in Technology when compared to US aircraft at the time, that may have actually helped the Soviets. The premise being that in a nuclear war, EMPs from bombs would nullify the US aircraft because of the computers while Soviet aircraft, still using glass tubes would be protected.

Any truth and if so, would this be a factor among which was better?

I agree with Parsifal, this has been a great thread read especially since I know nothing about these aircraft except "Oh that one looks nice!" But I want to throw this in: In the early 80s I remeber watching a report on the technological advances between Us aircraft and Soviet. There was a conclusion that although Soviet aircraft were behind in Technology when compared to US aircraft at the time, that may have actually helped the Soviets. The premise being that in a nuclear war, EMPs from bombs would nullify the US aircraft because of the computers while Soviet aircraft, still using glass tubes would be protected.
Any truth and if so, would this be a factor among which was better?

To a point true but a lot of our stuff is/ was shielded against EMP.

What I have always found when working on East Bloc aircraft was their simplicity and ruggedness, but sometimes they made maintenance a lot harder than it had to be. A lot of servicing points required special fittings that could have been half the size. In some of the maintenance manuals I seen rigging procedures that were pretty complicated and would have been better served with just simple dimensions and some rig boards - I do know that some of the folks who worked on these aircraft did develop short cuts to make life easier. I make these comments with regards to the MiG-15, 17, 21 and to the L-29/39 ans Iskras I've had the opportunity to work on.

A buddy of mine was an aircraft mech with the Nat Guard 20 years ago at Pomona and he said the same thing. Again, my question is probably filled with dust as I'm sure things have changed somewhat since I heard it 20 years ago.

Thanks

A buddy of mine was an aircraft mech with the Nat Guard 20 years ago at Pomona and he said the same thing. Again, my question is probably filled with dust as I'm sure things have changed somewhat since I heard it 20 years ago.

Thanks

In the mid-late 70s EMP was a concern especial when the Soviets outpaced us because of the "Peanut Farmer" but by the 1980s we started addressing stuff like this.

I thought for sure you were older.:shock:
So do most people on the internet, my football forum thought I was in my 60s. I was sure my thread-starting would mark me as a whipper-snapper though. Then again I don't talk to guys like Flyboy as if I'm the expert. Most youngsters don't understand respect these days.

1981....jeez, I was married in 1981, and had my first child two years later......I was divorced from my first marriage before you were of school age Clay.

I feel old.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back