Flak Towers of the Reich

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

CharlesMcCain

Recruit
Sep 3, 2010
Here is an excerpt from a blog post I wrote about the the use of Flak Towers by the Reich. You can find the rest on my blog Charles McCain.

"The main function of the towers was less shooting down Allied bombers, although that was important, but more to put up such a mass of anti-aircraft fire as to hinder bombing attacks on the area immediately around them. Flak, a word used by both sides, is the abbreviation of the German word "Fliegerabwehrkanone," which translates as "air defense cannon".

Three such towers were built in Berlin, three in Vienna, and two in Hamburg. Each tower actually consisted of two towers: the very large gun tower known as the 'G-Tower' and a smaller fire-control tower located nearby known as the 'L Tower'. The fire control tower transmitted the targeting values to the gun tower by wire - that is telephone/telegraph wire - that was buried deep below ground in a concrete tunnel to protect the wires from being severed."

I remember watching a History Channel program where the host explores underground passages and caves, etc, the name escapes me now, it's on all the time and fairly interesting. He went through the Berlin tunnels underground, and explored a few of the flak towers too. Very impressive installations both in size and scope. Many are still around simply because it would take too much work to destroy them.

google Flakturme and see what comes up, there are several nice booklets-books written on the subject. in fact at least 3 web-sites dedicated to the towers in the 3 cities

Augaten in Wien had a nice Cafe' once inside in fact since they could not remove it without destroying the lovely park talk has been to increase the amount of shopping space within.

Jeez; they're like a medieval citadel where the trebuchet has been replaced by a 88mm flak gun. Thanks for the information on this Charles.
Derek

Last edited:
The show was Cities of the Underworld on History channel. Just remembered it. They showed images of one of the flak towers in Berlin that was hit many times by bombs, and also be Russian artillery fire. The tower showed plenty of damage, but was in no danger of falling down.

I had read about these towers and seen some in steel works. I could never see any advantage to putting guns on towers, it seems they were more air raid shelters with guns on the top.

I remember reading that ack ack batteries in London used to fire their guns at max elevation when they didnt have a target just to make the locals feel good, like fighting back.

I had read about these towers and seen some in steel works. I could never see any advantage to putting guns on towers, it seems they were more air raid shelters with guns on the top.

I remember reading that ack ack batteries in London used to fire their guns at max elevation when they didnt have a target just to make the locals feel good, like fighting back.

And certainly during WW1, the return of the shrapnel to earth cause property damage, casualties and even fatalities. You can only guess at what it must have been like in a German city during a daylight bombing raid, with both side's metal raining down...

THAT"s were I had seen them at recently!

I used to live in Stuttgart myself back in the early 70's and just thought of it as a funny looking building.

Where in Stuttgart? I lived in Stuttgart for about 14 years. Went to High School and everything there. I go there quite a bit because my wife is from Stuttgart. In fact we are driving to Stuttgart tomorrow night. Going to play some golf there on Saturday.

Where in Stuttgart? I lived in Stuttgart for about 14 years. Went to High School and everything there. I go there quite a bit because my wife is from Stuttgart. In fact we are driving to Stuttgart tomorrow night. Going to play some golf there on Saturday.

Very cool, I lived in Pattonville. I fondly remember Ludwigsburg Castle and these candies we called Honey Shells which we bought for a pfennig or 2. Also a fast food like place called Weiner King

Very cool, I lived in Pattonville. I fondly remember Ludwigsburg Castle and these candies we called Honey Shells which we bought for a pfennig or 2. Also a fast food like place called Weiner King

Pattonville is closed down now. Wiener King is still around (I believe they changed the name though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back