Flat Bat?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Graeme

1st Sergeant
May 31, 2007
Roadkill.
Puzzled me at first - but that's a bat ear??

Name That  Roadkill.jpg

Capture.JPG

(12) Fruit Bats in Australia - YouTube

Still: Megabat - Wikipedia
Most fruit bats are larger than insectivorous bats or Microchiroptera, however there are a number of small fruit bats also. The smallest species is 6 cm (2.4 in) long and thus smaller than some microbats, for example, the Mauritian tomb bat.[6] The largest attain a wingspan of 1.7 m (5.6 ft), and weigh as much as 1.6 kg (3.5 lb).[7] Most fruit bats have large eyes, allowing them to orient themselves visually in twilight and inside caves and forests.

A bat with a span of 1.7m is quite big.

Where did you see those, Mike?
To answer your question, in Vietnam. As to pictures, while I did take some I had little time to take pictures or space to carry a camera or document what I did see. So those flying foxes looked exactly like that, i.e. a FOX - FLYING and they looked that big to me, wingspans near 5ft (1.5m) and yes entire trees filled with them.

To answer your question, in Vietnam. As to pictures, while I did take some I had little time to take pictures or space to carry a camera or document what I did see. So those flying foxes looked exactly like that, i.e. a FOX - FLYING and they looked that big to me, wingspans near 5ft (1.5m) and yes entire trees filled with them.
I can understand that you didn't carry a camera there. Must have been quite a sight. According to Wikipedia, wingspan can be up to 1.7 meters. That's buzzard size here.

I did from time to time. Other guys also took pics and from time to time would share copies. I did not have a Fox Bat pic anywhere and that pic looked pretty close to correct size. Most Vietnamese were about 5' 5" (1.65m) so the FB's wingspan was pretty close to their height. The weirdest thing was the lack of feathers so the wings were like thin black leather that were somewhat translucent in daylight. Made for a VERY weird sight in the sky.
Here (Arkansas) we have large numbers of Turkey Vultures (buzzards) with 6ft (1.8m) wingspans. With the lake and high ridges there are almost always several in the sky riding the thermals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back