Flight Sims are they really as real as actually flying?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes ive flown at the controls of an airplane. Even done aerobatics in one.

I never did get the hang of a split S though. I need a lot more practise at it. Surprisingly, I did some hammerhead stalls pretty good.

syscom3 said:
Yes ive flown at the controls of an airplane. Even done aerobatics in one.

I never did get the hang of a split S though. I need a lot more practise at it. Surprisingly, I did some hammerhead stalls pretty good.

In what type of aircraft?

It was a Citabria I believe.

Its an purpose built aerobatics plane, mono wing design mounted high. And it hold 2 people.

Its built in Europe? One thing I thought was cool was the metal framework in the wing. Hollow tubes filled with inert gas under pressure. If the wings are stressed to a dangerous level, some "fuse" plugs will fail and allow the gas to leak out. Theres a gauge in the cockpit that shows the pressure, and if it is going down, the pilot knows to land quickly.

syscom3 said:
It was a Citabria I believe.

Its an purpose built aerobatics plane, mono wing design mounted high. And it hold 2 people.

Its built in Europe? One thing I thought was cool was the metal framework in the wing. Hollow tubes filled with inert gas under pressure. If the wings are stressed to a dangerous level, some "fuse" plugs will fail and allow the gas to leak out. Theres a gauge in the cockpit that shows the pressure, and if it is going down, the pilot knows to land quickly.

I know it well; flew and fixed several of them. Citabrias are "All American" originally built by Aeronca then Ballancia, now they are built in Wyoming by Aviat who also builds Pitts. They used to have wood wings, but went to metal a few years ago. They are a basic aerobatic aircraft and a good tailwheel traininer. Fly that in a cross wind and then look what it flys like in a top of the line sim - it's not even close, and I could speak from experience...

Oh by the way, spell "Citabria' backwards....

There was this pilot that had only been trained on F.3 Lightnings ...and by some complete screw up he managed to have flight time in a F.6 ...cutting a long story short, he had to eject over the Med because he didn't have a clue about how the F.6 flew or felt.

So ...this trained pilot gets stuck in a plane of the same type but different mark ...is screwed. Remember, a trained pilot! ...how do you expect a simulator to make up for no flight experience?

syscom3 said:
A flight sim of the F6 model would have helped this guy tremendously.

Hey, if it worked for me, it can work for anyone

:))

Yea, now try landing that Citabria you flew (as you are KI-84 trained). I want to be there with a camera... :rolleyes:

How would it? A pilot with experience at the feelings, sights and sounds of a high performance plane ...also has experience of nature's variants ...gets put in a plane that's of a different mark ...and crashes. A simulator has to be able to recreate every single natural variant known to man, and others that aren't known, while being completely random and at any time. The simulator has to be programmed to do everything ...and as human's are f*ck offs, they're always going to miss something.

If a trained pilot fucks up when put in a new plane ...a sim ain't going to help his feelings when put in a new aircraft.

plan_D said:
How would it? A pilot with experience at the feelings, sights and sounds of a high performance plane ...also has experience of nature's variants ...gets put in a plane that's of a different mark ...and crashes. A simulator has to be able to recreate every single natural variant known to man, and others that aren't known, while being completely random and at any time. The simulator has to be programmed to do everything ...and as human's are f*ck offs, they're always going to miss something.

If a trained pilot fucks up when put in a new plane ...a sim ain't going to help his feelings when put in a new aircraft.

THANK YOU D! =D> =D> =D>

If computers could recreate every single aspect that leads to aerodynamic design, then they'd never be a poor aircraft because they could design it on computer before even building a model. So, all modern aircraft are excellent? No.

If a computer could recreate every aspect of flight there'd be no need for flight hours. A pilot would be capable at all aspects of flight and control before he's even seen an aircraft. Is that true? No.

Just to make it even simpler, a simulator could never recreate driving experience. They'd never test people for their drivers license using computers.

And the best thing that no computer will ever be able to recreate ...is human stupidity.

There isnt anything new about flight that hasnt been figured out. A well programmed simulator accounts for these. Its a fact the British simulators arent as advanced as the American ones..... hhehehehehehehe.

Once I find a Citabria sim thats 3 axis, I will practise my landings and show you how its done.

Another sim I used to great effect was the origional Microsoft flight sim from 1985. I practiced flying around in a Cessna. My buddy took me up in his Cessna and I flew it around the LA area. He said I did very good up to the time we were going to land, and I was aiming at one of the approach lights :))

syscom3 said:
Once I find a Citabria sim thats 3 axis, I will practise my landings and show you how its done.

I hope at John Wayne airport - Sunny could add that to his clip collection!
syscom3 said:
He said I did very good up to the time we were going to land, and I was aiming at one of the approach lights :))
My point! :rolleyes:

With every post, sys, you're getting further and further away from reality. It's even worse now you're saying a PC could recreate flight.

Who else found the comment about the simulators funny? Please, for his sake, someone else find it funny...

By the way, how do you know everything about flight has been figured out? Shall we just go tell the NASA scientists that there's no point in carrying on their research, sys has it all figured out?

plan_D said:
With every post, sys, you're getting further and further away from reality. It's even worse now you're saying a PC could recreate flight.

Who else found the comment about the simulators funny? Please, for his sake, someone else find it funny...

By the way, how do you know everything about flight has been figured out? Shall we just go tell the NASA scientists that there's no point in carrying on their research, sys has it all figured out?

I still think he's an Alien :visitor:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back