Flight Sims are they really as real as actually flying?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Even when its unpredictable, there are still wind speeds, directions and up/down drafts that can easily be modeled.

Just because a simulator doesnt model this airport correctly doesnt mean it can be simulated.

The whole idea of a simulator is to give you the illusion of flying. The more money you have to simulate it, the greater the illusion. And you can practise dangerous maneuvers in a sim that would kill you in the real world.

As I said before, only a fool would think a simulator is the real thing. It cant simulate human emotions in emergencies when their lives are close to ending.

I dont have an answer for you on that. In fact, I have no clue what you are getting at. Are you saying all simulators are inaccurate cause they cant give you the simulatation of actually getting killed?

If so, Im writting to the FAA and tell them to no longer allow any training on simulators as it is not a truthfull simulation of flight. They are doing the public a disservice because the pilots have been fooled into thinking they learned something on the sims.

Im really glad you brought this point up.

Cheddar....... a chair of pain...... hahahahaha, now thats a good idea to reinforce what you have learned.

:lol:

syscom3 said:
They are doing the public a disservice because the pilots have been fooled into thinking they learned something on the sims.
:lol: - The sim is real good for intrument and nav work and most inflight emergencies - and we're talking the the big airline full movement sims - the only reason why those guys really get something of of them for their type of operation is because they already got several thousands hours...

syscom3 said:
I dont have an answer for you on that. In fact, I have no clue what you are getting at. Are you saying all simulators are inaccurate cause they cant give you the simulatation of actually getting killed?

If so, Im writting to the FAA and tell them to no longer allow any training on simulators as it is not a truthfull simulation of flight. They are doing the public a disservice because the pilots have been fooled into thinking they learned something on the sims.

Im really glad you brought this point up.

Cheddar....... a chair of pain...... hahahahaha, now thats a good idea to reinforce what you have learned.

:lol:

no it's simply that some people were arguing that simulators are incredibly accurate and true to life, they think it's just like flying the real thing, i'm trying to say it's not, i never said they weren't useful..........

So the sims cant correctly model the aircraft in flight, takeoff or landing?

If so, all the equations of flight that have been generated for the past century are incorrect.

stop trying to put words into my mouth, words i've never said, it is simply a case that some poeple are arguing that sims are exactly the same as flying the real thing, which they're not........

syscom3 said:
So the sims cant correctly model the aircraft in flight, takeoff or landing?

If so, all the equations of flight that have been generated for the past century are incorrect.

Forget the equasions, talk stick and rudder....

the lancaster kicks ass said:
stop trying to put words into my mouth, words i've never said, it is simply a case that some poeple are arguing that sims are exactly the same as flying the real thing, which they're not........

Lanc, you're a very perceptive young man, you will go far!

FLYBOYJ said:
It means you understand there is a difference between a sim and a real airplane.....
I thought that much was obvious? Yes you can model all the physics of flying into a game but it will never beat the real thing or be able to model everything accurately. There are some things computers can't do that you can in real life. Probably the most important is the feel and the sensation of flying, you are never going to be able to replicate that in a sim. Yes they maybe 90+% accurate, who cares? There is no comparison to the real thing, sims only give you a vague idea of how it would be like. Not that I don't enjoy flying sims, at the moment they are as close as I can get to flying and probably as close as I will ever get to flying a warbird (one can still hope though!). As long as you realise that they are a game and so you can do things you can't do in real life then it is fine, but they cannot and probably will not be able to model everything that can happen in real life into a sim.

Gnomey said:
FLYBOYJ said:
It means you understand there is a difference between a sim and a real airplane.....
I thought that much was obvious? Yes you can model all the physics of flying into a game but it will never beat the real thing or be able to model everything accurately. There are some things computers can't do that you can in real life. Probably the most important is the feel and the sensation of flying, you are never going to be able to replicate that in a sim. Yes they maybe 90+% accurate, who cares? There is no comparison to the real thing, sims only give you a vague idea of how it would be like. Not that I don't enjoy flying sims, at the moment they are as close as I can get to flying and probably as close as I will ever get to flying a warbird (one can still hope though!). As long as you realise that they are a game and so you can do things you can't do in real life then it is fine, but they cannot and probably will not be able to model everything that can happen in real life into a sim.

My Point! ;)

syscom3 said:
Name me one thing having to do with the physics of flight that cant be modeled.

The production variances between two different aircraft of the same type that make each aircraft fly a little different.....for starters...

You also can not simulate the effect of a 3g turn on an individual. Some will blow chunks, some will get light headed, some will feel it, but otherwise be unaffected. The big very expensive simulators can give the g load effect, but a PC based sim cannot do that. It has nothing to do with emotion, as it is a physiological response.

You could also have an aircraft with control cable tension tolerance - take two aircraft and adjust control cable tension on one side of the tolerance and they may fly differently....

evangilder said:
I would think an airplane that has a few thousand hours on it might fly differently than a brand new one as well. Or a prop that is chipped and worn, or out of balance.

Yep - no sim is randomly is going to simulate that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back