Fly! or else Post Your Models 2!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MacArther said:
Eh, I just use Testor's paint. As per the remark about the brushes, its not the type of tool I hate, just my particular brushes, cause most of them need to soak before I try modeling otherwise their bristles are as hard as rocks, no matter how much I cleaned them the last time I used them.

I agree with P38 that Testor's enamels are good.However,I prefere the Humbrol's ones to the Testor's paint.So,could you tell me how you clean your brushes?Are the bristles made of the natural material?

I use mainly Revell minicans colors...
b9_1_b.jpg

Some are excellent, some good, some crap, depends on how you mix them and on their age...

Better tell me, which putty should I use. I was told to use Tamyia Putty today. So far, I have used some Polish incrediblo (...:lol:...) and that's crazy...

No David ,Don't use the Polish putty - horror.
The Tamyia putty is a high quality,this is a very good choice.Personally,I use the Revell one because it is a bit cheaper.

As far as cleaning goes, usually I let them sit in a vat of soapy water to try and strip some of the paint off (don't think this is right, but it is only way I've thought of). Then, I use towels or other implements to try and clean any excess paint off of the brissles. Finally, I run it under water while gently moving the brissles around to try and wash paint out. Nope, don't use natural brissles to my knowlege, because the ones I have seen are more expensive than the ones I use, and I am usually pretty strapped for cash when it comes to model making. I have a question though, are there any models similar to the Master Grade style ones I posted in the form of WW2 things? I say this because I'm lacking normal modeling glue right now, and a detailed snap-together (/with screws maybe) would be a good stress relief before college. On a side note, I have the Testor's clear panel glue, although I'm not so sure I wanna use that all over a model. I still have not gotten into using putty to clean up seams, and usually I can put the model pieces together well enough to avoid the seams being visible, although I do use modeling sand paper for the occasional stray spruce that can't be readily reached my my modeling knife or small scissors.

As far as the Master Grade style models are concerned I cannot be helpful bacause I haven't been interested in the matter so far.Sorry.Propably there are the others who could be interested in this kind of modelling.As far as the brushes are concerned,it seems that the procedure of cleaning them is O.K. I think the main problem with them is that they aren't made of natural material.In many cases the artyficial bristles react in the way and there isn't any way to make them softer.I use the brushes that are made of the natural bristles.Cleaning them I firstly use the "Nitro" thinner for the nitro paints( there is not a paint which could make a stand against the thinner) and then wash them with warm water and soap ( of course not warm :lol: ).If I could suggest something you should use an air brush to paint your models.It is easy to make this with your own hand and it is not expensive,as the compressor you could use a tube for instance.If you want I can find an article about how to make it.

But basically the airbrush IS expensive... I wouldn't spend more than 1,500 Czk ($70) on an airbrush... I have this Revell Basic AirBrush, without regulation of a trace, nothing, just shooting color...
Revell%20Starter.jpg

Not good I know but which one is good for price/effect?
I really need a good one, with a úpossibility of regulating the trace etc. for more advanced work, like diffucult camo (Japanese, German...) but I don't have that much to spend on it...

But I think I'll need to spend that when I'll have some $$$.... :rolleyes: :lol:

Pisis said:
But basically the airbrush IS expensive...
but which one is good for price/effect?
QUOTE]

It is very hard to pick something up.In many cases there is a small local firm which provides not expensive and good quality airbrushes in every country.You have to look around for this more carefully.I've used the Russian one I bought at the local market-place some ears ago.There wasn't even its name.It is made all of metal so the cleaning of this isn't a problem.The airbrush set consists of the airbrush,three nozzeles of the different diameter, that can be used interchangebly,a small tank for paint and a spare steel needle (a pin).There is a possibility of regulating the quantity of paint and trace.The main problem with it is no possibility to stop air,so the airpack cannot be used( a compressor only)The airbrush costed about 25 zlotych that was about 9$.I've heard the Russians sold the airbrushes at Warsaw market-places for about 100 zl.( today 1$=3.20 zl ).

25 zlotych is 181 korun (see the courses: 9,00 USD = 198,93 CZK, btw)...
I don't believethe AB's are that cheap here, but I'll ask at my local shop (I hope I'll be able to go there tomorrow for the putty... :rolleyes:)

I'll have another info on the AB's, perhaps.Unfortunately, I'll be busy for a week and I don't know if I could be on line.

Sorry for not responding earlier, I just moved into college, and just got hold of a computer lab computer to respond to all my online things. I would love to use an airbrush, but definately not make one. The most I have done in the way of making things is obviously, models, and less obvious, destroying and fiddling with my old NES and games.

Here is progress report of my mini (1/144) F-86 Sabre... It is my first 1/144 since I was... :-k 11? :thumbright: Sorry for so bad blurry picture, I currently have no better camera at me. I gave her a nice silver coat yesterady, so it just needs to have the cockpit finished, landing gear and some other stuff and I'm going to give her a nice set of USAF decals! :toothy8:

Attachments

• progress_1.jpg
    progress_1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 92

Users who are viewing this thread

Back