Flying Legends 2017

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Karl and I met-up at a new (to us) camp site on Saturday, ready for Flying Legends at Duxford the following day, when we were due to meet Andy (Crimea River) and his family, over from Canada, and Gary (Geedee), along with my daughter Josie and her boyfriend, up from London for the day.
The weather was good on both days, with hot sun, but some cloud to the south and partly overhead, which caused a few exposure problems at times. The 'Tin Tent' provided a base, with seating and the facilities of the van for those who required them, and a great day was had by us all - with a 'barbie' back at the camp site later that evening.
The show was opened by the Scampton Darts Team, aka The Red Arrows, and with the cloud base at that time at around 5,000 feet, they did their 'rolling' display, at a slight angle to the crowd line which, although impressive, lacked the impact of their full display - but maybe it was because I've seen them so many times over the last 50 years, one of the reasons I only took a couple of token shots.
Their display was interrupted part-way through, for around ten minutes, when they had to hold off, as some d***head under a para-motor had wandered into the 6 mile exclusion zone. Obviously he or she hadn't read the days NOTAMs, if in fact they even knew what NOTAMs are !
Anyway, I'll start off with a few mediocre shots in these first two posts, with a couple of shots of the 'Arrows', followed by the Spitfire formation and tails chase.
And for Marcel's benefit, their were only nine Spitfires .............................

Legends 2017 No2..jpg
Legends 2017 No3..jpg
Legends 2017 No4..jpg
Legends 2017 No5..jpg
Legends 2017 No6..jpg
Legends 2017 No7..jpg
Legends 2017 No8..jpg

The 'prototype' Sea Fury was up next, in the first of a couple of its displays of the day, this time in company with the resident Corsair and Bearcat.
More pics will follow tomorrow.

Legends 2017 No16..jpg
Legends 2017 No17..jpg
Legends 2017 No18..jpg
Legends 2017 No19..jpg
Legends 2017 No20..jpg
Legends 2017 No21..jpg
Legends 2017 No22..jpg
Legends 2017 No23..jpg
Legends 2017 No24..jpg
Legends 2017 No25..jpg

Good stuff Terry. Still sorting (read deleting many) through mine and will post when I get a chance. Busy on our London leg right now with little downtime.

Thanks chaps, and yes Paul, we had a great time.
Hope you and the family enjoy London Andy.
I'm not that happy with the majority of my pics this time around, but I admit, I didn't make much of an effort, being a bit lazy and just enjoying the sun and watching the show. I had mainly wanted to see, and photograph, the P-51B 'Berlin Express', but she lost her 'Malcolm' hood on Saturday, causing slight damage to the fin, and didn't fly on Sunday, remaining on the flight line with a tarp over the cockpit.

Anyway, back to the show, and the three Curtis fighters.

Legends 2017 No26..jpg
Legends 2017 No27..jpg
Legends 2017 No28..jpg
Legends 2017 No29,.jpg
Legends 2017 No30..jpg
Legends 2017 No31..jpg
Legends 2017 No32..jpg
Legends 2017 No33..jpg
Legends 2017 No34..jpg
Legends 2017 No35..jpg

Of six Mustangs originally listed for the show, P-51B 'Berlin Express' lost her canopy and couldn't fly on Sunday, and P-51D 'Moonbeam McSwine' was withdrawn, presumably due to technical problems.However, there were still four on Sunday, with the first slot showing the Norwegian Historic flight's camouflaged example, along with 'Miss Velma' and 'Miss Helen', the latter an original survivor of the 352nd FG, 'The Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney'.
The fourth P-51D is a new one on the airshow circuit, operated by Commanche Fighters, and is painted as 'Frenesi' (from the wartime song 'Free and Easy'), of the 357th FG, and this formed part of the display by 'The Horsemen', later in the show. Sadly, at the end of the show, 'Miss Velma' force-landed in a field alongside the M11 motorway, but the pilot was OK, and the aircraft didn't appear to be too badly damaged, being the right way up, with the canopy jettisoned and prop tips bent. It's not known if the the gear was retracted before landing, or even if it was still down, as the Press photos show the aircraft in very tall crops.
Press reports 'quoted' eyewitnesses as seeing a vintage fighter 'crash' in a field, in a big cloud of dust, after hearing 'a loud bang'.
Well, Karl spotted 'Miss Velma' doing a very steep and 'hot', curving approach, gear and flaps down, and alerted me. I jumped up (ish !) in time to see her level out and veer off to starboard, with gear down and very obviously under control, before she was lost from view behind the ARC hangar. No 'loud bang' was heard by any of our group, before or after the eventual landing, and any 'cloud of dust' could only have been from the tall, standing crops in the field where she landed, after extremely rapid reactions and a skillful piece of flying by her pilot.
But back to the first Mustang display, with sols slots by all three P-51Ds, and the formation with resident B-17G 'Sally B' with the Norwegian example, in RAF camouflage, the pics being split between two posts.

Legends 2017 No36..jpg
Legends 2017 No37..jpg
Legends 2017 No38..jpg
Legends 2017 No39..jpg
Legends 2017 No40..jpg
Legends 2017 No41..jpg
Legends 2017 No42..jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back