FMA IA-58 Pucara COIN aircraft.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rare pictures of aerial torpedo test made with the fouth IA-58 prototype. Year 1982

Attachments

• pasada torpedo.JPG
    pasada torpedo.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Interesting. I can't imagine that in recently modern warfare (1975-1990) that the Pucara would survive for a torpedo run. While beautiful she most certainly is, the Pucara is vastly under powered and vulnerable.

Well, you can see the date of the project, it was intended to be used as an auxiliary anti-submarine patrol helped by the navy S-2Es. The S-2e has the range to reach the Malvinas as loiter for about 3 hours. In the other hand the 24 Pucaras based in the Islands had not such range but since they did not need to cover the 1200 km from mainland argentina with 2 x300 l standar wingtanks they would be ok for a patrol. I an projected combined mission the Ia-58s would fly next to the S-2e and when the Tracker detect something they could attack with torpedos both or just one aircraft.

In the early days of the war the Trackers paired with helos for such mission but after the HMS Coventry blew up one Super Puma with a Seadart ( it was a long shot) and the Harriers damaged several more the Trackers operated alone.
I cant say for sure but I dont think thet ever crossed the Air Force High Command to operate the torpedo Pucara against the british frigates or destroyers, the aircraft simply wouldnt survive the antiaircraft screen.

Is underpowered yes but I dont think it such vulnerable if you provide with some ECM of chaff dispenser, after all is to fight guerrila wich might, might be armed with an old Sa-7, Stinger or SA-16, evidently in not an penetration interdictor, cant ask for more of the design.
The pilot has back, floor and frontal armor, despite all the 24 were loss in the 1982 wars ( mostly by MANPADS and infantry attacks against its airbase) just one pilot was killed, that was Antonio Jukic the aircraft was about to taxi and received a BL-755 cluster bomb launched by Harriers the 1th May 1982.

Last edited:
New Life for the Pucara:

Believe it or not the Air Force has decided to put money for a second IA-58 modernization. Mainly because the French firm Turbomeca annouced it will quit to manufature spare parts for the Astazou in 2011.

The improvement will include ( at last) a small glass screen with flight data and a HUD displaying cannons, bombs, rocket firing solutions, the armor will be increased below the engine naccelles and the new engine will be Honeywell TPE-331 or Pratt Whitney PT-6. Still this is not fully confirmed but is know some 30 Ia-58As and Ds will be adquiring this new turboprop, the work is already underway in the FMA.

Here some pictures taken the 16 october.

Attachments

• puca1.jpg
    puca1.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 134
  • puca2.jpg
    puca2.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 123
Yea, unfortunately It wont be like this, my project for a turboprop A-58 "Warthog" :twisted: with 2 x 30mm and the .30 Mgs replaced with the high rate of fire M3M cal 50...

8e1a5f6a.jpg

Aniway the new engines would give them a considerable boost to intercept the pesky drug carring planes coming from the northern borders. I just wish somebody replace those old HS 804 with Rheinmetalls RH 202.

What is the shp difference between what is on the Pucara now and the PT-6A? If it's not hugely significant, she's still gonna be a dog. The Pucara is very underpowered in its current guise.

The Astazous had 978 shp and the PT6 from 1200 to 1500shp depending in wich variant is finally choosed, in my opinion the change would be noticeable.

Aviones.jpg

Attachments

• mdt1039.jpg
    mdt1039.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
just read this thread Charles (I know, I'm a little late) EXCELLENT WORK SIR!!!!!!!! And a beautiful aircraft! I have enjoyed this thread a lot. Thanks you for the time to put it together

Beter latter than never, my pleasure.

Yeah I would say that might address some shortcomings!

It would, the Pucara is not designed for speed but probably will hit 590-620 kmph with the new engines. The new aircraft will be a bit heavier due the electronics and extra armor.

A example of 1200 hp PT6 powered turboprop is the Pilatus PC-12 Ng wich is service with the Gendarmeria (a sort of argentine border patrol/military police)
The 1500 shp variant is used in the succesful brazilian Super Tucano the most widespread modern COIN aircraft. Many people ask why the Argie didnt bought SupTuc so far, the answer is simple: the AAF, the argentine Goverment, even the argentine public opinion prefers a domestic product.

Attachments

• HB-FSL_4688_B.jpg
    HB-FSL_4688_B.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Super-Tucano-copy.jpg
    Super-Tucano-copy.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 152
Yeah I wasn't thinking for speed so much as climb and turn performance. Watching some videos on the Pucara, it is really underpowered. The upgrade would certainly fix that. Wonder what it would do to the range though.

The pilot has back, floor and frontal armor, despite all the 24 were loss in the 1982 wars ( mostly by MANPADS and infantry attacks against its airbase) just one pilot was killed, that was Antonio Jukic the aircraft was about to taxi and received a BL-755 cluster bomb launched by Harriers the 1th May 1982.

Well, I'm amazed :shock:

Late pilot's prenome suggests he had Croatian background. Not surprisigly though, since many Croats have immigrated in Argentina Chile (and in other S. American countries) in large numbers.

Great thread, and lovely plane, the Pucara.

There are more croats in Chile than in Argentina but still here thre is a good number of them. My dad has a friend named Pavel Balog so you can see where he come from. Unlike me he is a landowner, with the productivity of the land in Argentina that means you live live the great life almost without working. :)

But lets back to the Pucara.

My earlier information was not complete, Yes, there was a single Pucara pilot killed by enemy action but another one ( Lt Gimenez) was killed in flying accident due the awful weather.
I dont think the range would be affected due the more powerful engines, after all they are a newer, better technology.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 180
Beter latter than never, my pleasure.

It would, the Pucara is not designed for speed but probably will hit 590-620 kmph with the new engines. The new aircraft will be a bit heavier due the electronics and extra armor.

A example of 1200 hp PT6 powered turboprop is the Pilatus PC-12 Ng wich is service with the Gendarmeria (a sort of argentine border patrol/military police)
The 1500 shp variant is used in the succesful brazilian Super Tucano the most widespread modern COIN aircraft. Many people ask why the Argie didnt bought SupTuc so far, the answer is simple: the AAF, the argentine Goverment, even the argentine public opinion prefers a domestic product.

The Honeywell TPE331-14 is rated @
Power output: shp 1,650
shp (thermo) 1,759
eshp 1,833
emergency APR 2,022

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back