FMA IA-58 Pucara COIN aircraft.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah, but so did the A-4. No, I think it looks familiar for other reasons. Perhaps it is the straight stiles of the armoured wind screen.

Oh. And 1800rds/min? For a 30mm?? Is it a chain gun? I can't fathom a firing rate that high for a single barrel cannon.

Oh. And 1800rds/min? For a 30mm?? Is it a chain gun? I can't fathom a firing rate that high for a single barrel cannon.

It is a revolver gun actually, the chain guns are not the fastest one.

FSy.jpg

I was checking other sources and they said 1100-1300 rpm for the Defa 552, 1300-1500 for the Defa 553 and 1800 for the Defa 554.

I dont remember if the IA-58C used a 553 or a 554 model.

Actually GIAT manufactured today canon named M7981 and it is also single barrel, 7 chamber revolver gun and it fires at...2500 rpm. :D

It is used in the Dassault Rafale.

800px-P1220889.jpg

If you mean lighter than a Gatling gun...well must be about 20% of the weight of a GAU-8. 8)

IA-58 flying over the Beagle Channel, a hot zone of the 1970s-80s. This A model carry a 1300 lts fuel tank.

6aznhoz.jpg

6bmk0so.jpg

6b3zcj5.jpg

66wqv76.jpg

Hypothetical Canadianized Super Pucara, dubbed 'CA-58' with the PT6A-68C engines and a air-to-air refueling node (to make the aircraft somewhat self-deployable over long distances).

CA-58Pucara.jpg

Hypothetical Canadianized Super Pucara, dubbed 'CA-58' with the PT6A-68C engines and a air-to-air refueling node (to make the aircraft somewhat self-deployable over long distances).

CA-58Pucara.jpg

Hehe, very good one. I never tough a Puca with flight in refueling.
soldier-37.gif

And what is the armament ?? 8)

549eq38.jpg

Actually the maximum range of the IA-58 is not bad, about 3000 km, but of course just with maximum fuel and not external bombs/rocket/missiles.

After looking around, for far too long, I feel that the 'nose' of the IA-58C is unique.

A family shot.

Soome more pictures on this Coin bird.

- IA-58A weapons display.

- IA-58B 30mm variant. Note the "pregnant" belly of this variant caused by the 30mm 553 DEFAs

-IA-58B in Le Bourget 1980.

Attachments

• ia-58b.jpg
    ia-58b.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 257
  • ia58b-delante.jpg
    ia58b-delante.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 303
Great thread, great pics and great plane!:thumbleft:

I wonder how maintenance costs of the IA-58 compare to single engine COIN aircraft like the Tucano.

Definately is a 60 or 70% higher, that is the price to pay for a heavier payload, longer range and heavier fixed armament. The ARg Air Force planned a COIN single engine in early 1960s but discarded it quickly. The aircraft is really strong, and the 2 engines allowed you to operated from bad and really short airstrips.
Worth to mention thet the Tucano is in service here but only as a trainer.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Nice. Those four MGs and the bent down nose make it look a bit like the Hs 129 :)

Saw the video of the Tucano shooting down that drug trafficker plane you posted btw. That has to be as close to classic WW2 aircombat as it gets nowadays.

True, the Pucara had sometimes been used as drug planes interceptor also, since is not really fast his usual prey are slow singles engine Cessnas coming from Bolivia and Paraguay. Unfortunately the today argentine legislation does not allow the deliberate destruction of a drug carrier, only damage it/ and or force it down.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 213
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 208

Users who are viewing this thread

Back