Focke Wulf Fw190

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Lefa. Some of the units there at that time were JG.54, JG.5 and SG.5

EDIT: Found the same photo(B&W) in "German Aircraft in Finland 1939-1945". Caption says "FW 190 A of 4./JG.54, "white 20" is being prepared for a mission at Immola on 2 July 1944. Above fourteen Stukas are returning from a bombing mission to Karelian Isthmus."

Last edited:
One day I'll figure out how to back-date an Fw 190A-1 to the V-1.

Which scale are you building Zaggy?

In 1/72 scale there is MPM injection kit which should not be hard to find although its probably 20 years old (and hence quite crude!). Further - Esoteric also made resin kits of both reincarnations of V-1. I am not sure how easy would be to find it.

in 1/48 scale there is Legato kit. Super expensive if you find it & quite crude. I hope that some company like Hobby Boss or similar will make new 1/48 scale kit.

It's far away from impossible to backdate some of early Fw 190s to the first prototype but would take quite a bit of work to change almost every aspect of the aircraft except the basic shape. Not something I would personally like to do myself. But I don't like challenges :)

Best,
Milos

my remark is in #44: FW190A-3/U7, notice double airintake

I agree that Fw 190 A-3 / U7 would have double air intakes like the machine on your photo but the only A-3 / U7 I can remember at the moment seeing is the WNr 528 (531 & 532 were also built) and it had it had wing area enlarged which would be clearly visible in head on shot.
Furthermore, it's camouflage on the power egg was reaching to just above the air intakes (unlike on the photo posted by you, it shows camouflage reaching under the intakes) & they didn't have the small "door" on the front used on the tropical filters (as I think are visible in the photo you have posted).

If we can be sure that this is A-3 Version (based on the code: B?+?D) then it could be a U3 one which seems to have been produced quite a bit & according to JaPo WNr 511 was fitted with the tropical filter (514 and 515 apparently got the same filter installed).

U7 would not have bomb racks under the wings either.

Best regards & thanks so much for all your posts! I highly appreciate it.

The aircraft featured at the post #44 is a fighter-bomber (F-8 probably), with air filters installed on the external air intakes.
The WkNr 528 was 1st tested with normal wings. WkNr 046 (TK+IK), supposedly the pattern aircraft for the Fw 190B series, was with big wings.

Hvala! Thanks for the correction Tomo.
Still - it confirms the opinion that we are not seeing A-3/U7 on the #44 post photo.
I even believe that the aircraft on that photo is painted with the Sand color on the upper surfaces based on the tone of the camouflage seen on the cowling. But that's just my wild guess

Which scale are you building Zaggy?

GDay Milos - 1/48... the 'one true scale' ;)

in 1/48 scale there is Legato kit. Super expensive if you find it & quite crude. I hope that some company like Hobby Boss or similar will make new 1/48 scale kit.

Legato kit - ok, never heard of it, but will keep an eye out. As for HB, they keep breaking my heart; the Ta 152C's were wrong, the Fw 190D's were wrong and the Fw 190 V18 is...well, you guessed it... Wrong! Which is a shame, because HB have had a crack at some AWESOME topics (YF-23 - don't get me started on the PAIN I have gone through so far correcting that; TA-7C - I actually THREW that kit out before starting it, it was so bad; F-14A/B/D - where do I start with that?; Tornado F.3 - is better than those listed before, but the fwd fuselage and nose are just 'wonky'; F-111 series and A-10C are so-so, but still requiring work.... But then they go and drop the A-6A in 1/48 which is brilliant!).

Despite my HB trauma, I will likely grab a V18 at some stage; having now seen one, I *THINK* i can come up with a relatively easy way to correct the main issue (the exhaust pipes and wing roots) - everything else looks pretty simple to correct.

It's far away from impossible to backdate some of early Fw 190s to the first prototype but would take quite a bit of work to change almost every aspect of the aircraft except the basic shape. Not something I would personally like to do myself. But I don't like challenges :)

Best,
Milos

Yeah, I have this habit of attempting 'daft crap' (ie: fixing the HB YF-23), but having since looked at diagrams of the A-0 and later variants, I'm not sure I'd give it a go... hahaha

Cheers again Milos :)

Dan

fw-190 sick.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back