Foreign Designs in Japanese Service.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Graeme

1st Sergeant
May 31, 2007
Saw this on the net earlier this year. Can anyone confirm or deny whether the Japanese used all those displayed? I guess hindsight is a great thing, but it was printed in 1943 (I think) during difficult times....

And have a close look at the Heinkel He-111 - has the artist drawn it with radials?

maybe.jpg

That I know of from Germany and Italy
BR-20's were purchased

License built DC-3, test and evaluations on all else except the Ar-196 which was used at a navl base the Germans and Japanese shared and the Komet which was licensed
2_39.jpg
65_1.jpg
65_5.jpg
box_art.jpg
L2D3.jpg
65_4.jpg

Last edited:
The Japanese had several Ju52s that were in civil service before the start of the war, I am sure they were appropiated by the military. I don't have any photos handy, but they should be easy to find, look for Eurasia Ju52/3M.

The He111 did see service in the far east, as the Chinese government purchased 6 He111A-0 types. Most were shot down by the Japanese during a raid near Shanghai. The Japanese were interested in licensing the He111 and an IJA designation was formed for it, the Type 98 but to the best of my knowledge, they never took delivery of any from Germany for evaluation.

Interesting that I don't see the Heinkel He112 on that chart, as the Japanese had purchased 12 He112B-0 types and used them during the Second-Sino war under the Army designation of A7He1. The Allies were aware of their presence and gave them the ID of "Jerry".

This chart looks to be 1939 or 1940 vintage.

The Kikka was somehwat similar to the Me262 and loosely based on the Messerschmitt design, but certainly not a licensed airframe.

Perhaps you're thinking of the KI-201, which was actually based on the Me262's design specs.

I know there were so many and I think I have books which cover most of them.
Sorry but no time to check at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back