foreign fighters for germany?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

RAGMAN

Airman
Jul 5, 2005
vancouver ,B.C.
i have been trying to find info on how many americans and canadians fought for germany in ww2... i have read east indians serving for the SS. i wondered wat other citizens of other countries fought for germany (albeit as a private citizen):?:

They had French SS, Dutch SS, Norwegian SS and so on.

As far as Americans go, there were quite a few that served in various units including the SS...one good example would be the Germans that were part of the deception during the Battle of the Bulge where the SS grenadiers were posing as U.S. Army MPs, many were American born or educated.

one good example would be the Germans that were part of the deception during the Battle of the Bulge where the SS grenadiers were posing as U.S. Army MPs, many were American born or educated.

Didn't know that Dave! I always assumed they were 'regular' Germans, if you know what I mean (more proof of how wrong assumption can be!)

Read too that the identifying feature of jeeps used by such units was the use of German type slitted lamp covers. Having only seen one photo myself of a jeep in that configuration, can't confirm or deny that.

Quite a few Volksdeutch came from the new world back to Germany. If my grandmother would have had her way, my father would have been one. This was a major factor in his leaving home at 14.

Remember the scene in "Band of Brothers" with Malarky and the German prisoner - just before they were **** by Lt. Spears?

Their were quite a few Belgians who fought for Germany, some in the SS - who fought fiercly in the Russian campaigns.

i have not heard of canadians involved but i imagine some must have went back to germany to fight for the fatherland .... but i have not seen anything that says otherwise

Russian Cossacs who fought with the Wehrmacht.
Cossacs-in-the-Wehrmacht-595x404.jpg

German image of a Russian 'volunteer' in the Wehrmacht.
Russian-volunteer-in-wehrmacht.jpg

Cossacks fought against Bolsheviks during Russian Civil War. Afterward Bolsheviks made an effort to exterminate the various Cossack groups. That sort of thing breeds hatred. So does 1930s Holodomor which killed millions in Ukraine and left the remainder in so much agony they wished they were dead.

The Cossacks freakin' HATED the Soviets.
If you think the White Russians hated the Reds before the war, you can be rest assured that the hate was amplified afterwards...well, the ones that were left, at least.

At the close of the war, Stalin demanded the White Russians be turned over to him from the Allies...and they were.

They didn't last long...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back