FOUND!!! USS Lexington (CV-2)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I hope this doesn't come across as insensitive but why is she considered a war grave? Were the dead not evaced with the rest of the crew?
A small number of the crew were killed and entombed in the ship. Only one dead sailor who's body is not recovered from a sunken ship makes it a "War Grave". Part of international agreements. It's a federal crime to tamper with a War Grave.

BOYS!!! No bickering! I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

First we'll need to form a committee to study the effects of removing 1/4 rivet # 54,677 and the possible impact it will have on rivets # 54,676 and 54,678 with a sub committee to study the effects on the other 3/4 of rivet 54,677. We'll also have to elect someone to chair a panel to study how rivets 55,668, 55,669 and 66,275 might be impacted along with panel # 7435.

And that's just for starters...
You forgot the environmental impact study and 90-day comment period.

LOTS of discussion amongst navalists, of course. Two friends who worked with Ballard have intriguing comments. Nobody's seen a large USN ship so thoroughly broken up, a real surprise. One theory is implosion because Lex sank with many compartments intact. As for the Fox-5 Wildcat, John Lundstrom's da man, check his First Team Vol. I. F-5 was sometimes flown by Lt Noel Gayler (normally F-13), and the victory markings (plus one bomb) seem to reflect that record.
It could also be the fact that some sections of ship were flooded (enough to entire ship negatively buoyant) but parts that were not flooded were still buoyant enough to cause "hogging" of the ship structure on its long journey to the bottom. Stresses could have exceeded all design parameters since they are not built to "sink" but to float in all kinds of seas.

I have always wondered:

How much time has to pass before a grave site becomes an archeological site?

Good question, and I'm not sure there's a definitive answer. From personal and secondary knowledge, the most likely answer is: IT DEPENDS. Courts are seldom consistent in their findings (hence the appeal process) and that applies to admiralty law as well. In Lex's case, the remote locale and depth are likely to ensure that she remains largely untouched indefinitely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back